Few questions about shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Few questions about shackles

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Ryanjeeper

Few questions about shackles

What is the stock shackle length? What is the longest length for a shackle that would be good for a lift? Can you run 31's with no lift? What length shackles would you need for 32's or 33's? I know this is a lot of questions but it would be great for some answers!

Thanks
Ryan

Ryanjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
rbn1357

Shackles give a 1/2" of lift for every inch added to the stock length. And I think Stock is 4". I have 2" shackle lift (8" shackle). Would never do it again. They look fugly ,alter steering a bit, worsen ride, and flatten springs. Stay away from shackles longer then 1" 1/4 lift.

People on here get boomerang shackles for the rear to help with the springs.
rbn1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Ryanjeeper

so what tires will 1.25" shackles run?
Ryanjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
rbn1357

When I was just running the 2" shackles and 31"s tires I had 2" gap between the tires and the fender. Could try to run 31"s with the smaller lift but might look stupid. Could also attach TJ fenders. It provides more clearance and might do the job.
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
rbn1357

Here's what I would do if I were you since you are most likely in highschool like me (saw profile). I bought longer shackles and a body lift. This route provides no real benefit. But later on I will try to replace both with a 4" RE lift.

It will look the best and flex way more than I have now. Save your money for the lift.
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Ichytriggrfingr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run 31's with a shackle lift, I think I have 1.5" of lift. I didnt really accurately measure before i installed, but I can let you know tomorrow what the current measure is. I don't have any rubbing, and I think the end results are pretty good. I thin k I put it on before the tires, but really don't remember, its been a few years. The main point of improvement was the zerk fittings and new bushings. Before that, every bump sounded like I had dropped the Jeep off a cliff. Now it just sounds like falling off a building.

Matt
Ichytriggrfingr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.