A few easy upgrades, part two - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A few easy upgrades, part two

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A few easy upgrades, part two

Here is part one, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...my-yj-1357433/ since I cannot figure out how to reduce the pictures I will just make a new thread. The first thread shows a easy way to keep water from pooling on your soft top and to keep your soft top from flapping in the wind. And the second tip in the first thread is how to makes and install a $7.00 hand shifter for FI Yjs. The sink clip is the really cool part.

On this thread I will show what you can do with your old soft top to make it last a little longer after the threads pull out on the rear corners and the mesh that I used to keep honest hands out of my Jeep when parked and as a side note keep my dog from falling out accidentally.

1st and 2nd Picture is my garage. I built my house about four years ago and completed it with a 25 x 46 garage with two large doors. The 12' 3" ceiling height allows me to have a lift.

Yes, I am bragging a bit. But darn do I like it. This is the garage that I would dream about as a kid.

3rd Picture is the screen that I picked up at Home Depot for about $15.00. I started by wrapping the screen around the roll bar behind the driver seat. I then tie strapped the screen to the roll bar. Next I pulled the screen around not too hard around the other four roll bar posts. tie strapping as I went along. The end fit was pretty good with a little bit of easy cutting using a razor blade. I had allot of comments from people some asking where I bought the setup. When summer comes I will have to take it down due to the extreme Florida heat but until then this works nice.

4th Picture shows the screen and my dog Rocky. I have a another top for just above the seats but it does not give enough sun protection. At the beginning of winter the threads on the corners of my top came undone. This seems to be where the soft tops start to come apart. So I rolled up the tops corner and tie strapped it. I had no intention of using the windows for the winter anyway.

5th picture is everything completed.

I just made a new sun top for my rig for free. I will be pulling it soon to run AC, but I will keep the old top and re install it next winter.

Martin

jeep-lift.jpg   jeep-garage-lift-no-jeep.jpg   jeep-screen-top-corner.jpg   jeep-screen-rocky.jpg   jeep-back-screen-top.jpg  

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

not for me, looks tacky, but hey....

I bought the CRES system from Smitty for 60 bucks, dows the same thing, straps on the bar and looks way cleaner.....
no zap straps etc....

your shop and hoist on the other hand..... I will take that

anyhow your rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
not for me, looks tacky, but hey....

I bought the CRES system from Smitty for 60 bucks, dows the same thing, straps on the bar and looks way cleaner.....
no zap straps etc....

your shop and hoist on the other hand..... I will take that

anyhow your rig
I was worried that it would look tacky when I put it together. But to be honest it does not look tacky. I have had allot of people compliment me on it, and be surprised that I made it myself.

The tie straps really do not show that much in real life.

Where I tie strapped the ripped top, next year before I re install the top I will cut down on the corner folds by trimming the corners up.
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

looks good for the dog. Not a bad idea. great shop.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its a hell of an idea. protects your stuff and your dog and is super cheap. it even matches fairly well. great job!!

you mock me with your garage.
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice cheap upgrade. Your shop has a ton of what my metal building shop will have. I have to ask though. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH YOUR ATTIC ENTRANCE!! Lol ;-)
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YOU SUCK I want a garage I can put a lift in !!!! I sometimes think about putting one next to the house and then building a cover over it, but you still suck

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JB View Post
I have to ask though. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH YOUR ATTIC ENTRANCE!! Lol ;-)
12 foot ceiling and a broken string???
animal0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JB View Post
Nice cheap upgrade. Your shop has a ton of what my metal building shop will have. I have to ask though. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH YOUR ATTIC ENTRANCE!! Lol ;-)
It is actually pretty cool. My attic is big enough to add rooms. Above my garage I installed the ladder to access a storage room that is tall enough to walk around.

My insulation is sprayed foam on the attic ceiling so even during the summer when most Florida attics get to be 130 degrees plus, my attic stay about 2 degrees warmer than the inside of my house. There is no need to close the attic up completely. So I leave the ladder out a bit for easy access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 View Post
12 foot ceiling and a broken string???
Not sure what you mean by a broken string? Fill me in and I will try to address it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
its a hell of an idea. protects your stuff and your dog and is super cheap. it even matches fairly well. great job!!

you mock me with your garage.

Thank you, Even without the dog the mesh keeps honest hands out of my Jeep.

Nothing will keep a thief out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
looks good for the dog. Not a bad idea. great shop.
Thank you for the compliment.
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
YOU SUCK I want a garage I can put a lift in !!!! I sometimes think about putting one next to the house and then building a cover over it, but you still suck
I have it made. If it is too hot to work I can close the garage door and blow cool air from the house into the garage. The garage is fully insulated.

As far as cost it was not much. If you have a place outside of you home. Just pour a six inch deep slab. I picked up my lift used for $450.00. Drop it on the slab and you are done. There is no need to cover up the lift outside that I can see. It is fine outside in my opinion.

A new cheap lift is about $1500.00 a good lift like mine is about $3000.00 new I would guess. I have plans to install two drive on lifts at the front of my garage for added storage. Which you can see I need.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.