Few easy upgrades for my Yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Few easy upgrades for my Yj

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Few easy upgrades for my Yj

I figured I would share some upgrades that I made to my rig over the years.

Some of the upgrades that I will show I have not seen that anyone else has done like the piece of 2" x 42" piece of aluminum that I notched out in the front and made a few minor and easy bends. If you look at the first pic it shows what the front view of my rig.

We all have the problem with water pooling on our tops after a heavy rain. Or flapping tops at certain speeds. Some have fixed this by construction PVC from the roll bar piece that goes to the window frame. Then the PVC goes from side to side above your head.

This idea works great cost practically nothing and can be made from scrap aluminum. Just notch out the front of the 2 inch aluminum, bend as the pictures show and place a piece of thick cloth on the front. Done deal and only took a few minutes to make. Fully removable in seconds.

EDIT: Before I add any more pics. Can someone tell me how to format the picture to fit? And to upload the right size.

jeep-top-f-view.jpg   jeep-top-inside-view-f.jpg   jeep-top-inside-view-b.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Dillard; 04-16-2012 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Burying the hatchet
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really nice. Usually the pics resize automatically. For somew reason they didnt with this post. Good looking Jeep!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep came with a fancy pre-cut length of 1x4 to stand up from the floor of the Jeep to the roof. I think I like your idea better, although I rarely use the top anymore.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone tell me how to resize the above pictures. And how to insert the right size pictures?
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Can someone tell me how to resize the above pictures. And how to insert the right size pictures?
You need to use an external program ex. Microsoft Office Picture Editor, go to "TOOLS" and click on re-size or if you upload your pictures into "PHOTOBUCKET" click on the picture, check the menu and choose re-size.

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use photobucket and it seems to resize it perfectly. Btw nice innovation with running the top prop tri the windshield instead of across side to side. I think this is a better design for keeping water from pooling up when it rains.
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I use photobucket and it seems to resize it perfectly. Btw nice innovation with running the top prop tri the windshield instead of across side to side. I think this is a better design for keeping water from pooling up when it rains.

Thank you. The piece works perfectly and only take a few minutes to make.

Plus it gives a lot more head room than with a pvc pipe above you.

I have uploaded to ImageShack. When I try to copy and paste the URL it states invalid. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well done. I hacked off the end of a mop handle so it sits in the cup holder and the mop head keeps the top up in the rain. Yours is a much better solution.
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I made my hand throttle. Cost was around $7.00. Very easy and only took about 15 minutes from start to finish. The longest part was drilling a hole in the firewall. Please note that this is for FI models only. Carb models you will have to make some changes.

I went to a bicycle shop and bought a Schimino shifter. It came with the cable and cost $5.00
Ace hardware had the 1/4 20 adjuster bolt and a sink clip. (A sink clips holds your stainless sink to the counter. So you know what you are looking for and can tell the sales guy.)

Pull the clicker out of the Schimino shifter and throw away the bolt install the adjuster bolt that you bought to hold your throttle at any RPM with a turn of the adjuster bolt.. I also used a piece of rubber hose to hold the new throttle control to the shifter. One finger throttle.

The third picture shows the sink clip bent over the FI throttle cable bracket.
On FI models there is a bracket with square holes this is where the sink clip holds the cable. (second picture) To hold the sink clip in place just bend it over the bracket. Run the cable and that is pretty much it.
jeep-shifter-inside.jpg   jeep-shifter-front-clip-end-cable.jpg   jeep-back-sink-clip1.jpg  
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Thank you. The piece works perfectly and only take a few minutes to make.

Plus it gives a lot more head room than with a pvc pipe above you.

I have uploaded to ImageShack. When I try to copy and paste the URL it states invalid. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
You need IMG codes with the URL of the pic
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For the life of me I cannot figure it out. When I go to imageshack and copy the URL the Forum states that it is invalid. http://imageshack.us/g/842/jeepbackofsinkclip1.jpg/
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice fab work! (I think I can see the molecules of your Jeep in those pics! )
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have model number or part number for the shifter?
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
You have model number or part number for the shifter?

From what I understand just go to any bicycle shop and ask for a Schimino shifter. It will come with cable and when you move the lever it will click. Take the clicker piece out.

The Schmino shifter is used to change gears on bicycles.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.