Fender Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fender Removal

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fender Removal

So one of the things I've been thinking about doing is getting tube fenders in the front of my jeep. Unfortunately I don't have the money right now. So instead I'm thinking of removing the portion at the end that curves over.(picture wont load it says it exceeds file capacity sorry if my explanation is kinda crappy). I'm hoping it would kind of give the effect of flat fenders if I did that and removed the flares, but I've been unable to find anyone whos done it this way. Any help would be appreciated. Also anyone who has cut it off the fender and gone without it chime in your experience and how you did it.
thanks
Jeb

jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I cut a lot of the front lip off maybe a inch above body line curve on the front of fender and moved the flare up to be even with fender and rolled the metal underneath to actually give a extra inch of wheel Clearence with out sharp edges Can't up load pics right now from phone but when I get home I will post up before and afters. I'm happy wit out come for now Hope that helps wit ideas.
sahara92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The smittybilt tube fenders sound similar to this.
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

There's a guy by me who pulled off the front clip on his. Doesn't give it a flat fender look. Just looks incomplete, IMHO.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

tends to look hacky...they will be very flimsy as well. i separated the inner from the outer and made the outer portion easy to remove. for street driving the 35s are mounted as well as the fenders. for offroad the larger tires go on and the fenders come off. once you go fenderless you really get to liking the look. my avatar just happens to have one on and one off.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

heres the pic of what i did nothing special but ......

where the metal is already cut is where the body line was and the purple line is where i cut it this time.... if you want any more photos from specific angles just let me know
img_1123.jpg   img_1124.jpg   img_1127.jpg  
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

heres a few more pics i took tonight

just for a better idea on what it looks like for you and anyone else looking

the first pic wit the 33 is to show that i jack the axle up to make the rim center in wheel opening, to act like where it will sit if mounted, the second is to show the actual clearence between tire and flare/fender
img_1141.jpg   img_1145.jpg   img_1147.jpg   img_1148.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

please dont pick on my big shackles, they will be addressed when i get to suspension....!!!!! right now they just take care of the forward lean i couldnt stand lol
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara92
heres a few more pics i took tonight

just for a better idea on what it looks like for you and anyone else looking

the first pic wit the 33 is to show that i jack the axle up to make the rim center in wheel opening, to act like where it will sit if mounted, the second is to show the actual clearence between tire and flare/fender
Looks great! Thanks for showing me pictures of what you did. I was thinking of doing something like that, but maybe taking the end cap off so if anyone has a picture of that please share! And to Anticanman i would probably rather have smittybilt tube fenders but they are around $400 bucks and I feel like this could look close to that if I manage not to mess it up haha.

One other thing I have considered after searching the internet is to cut it off entirely. I like the look of it without any fenders(still have to make sure its legal in kentucky). So I was wondering if anyone has done this and could show me how they did it and if it was difficult. Plus is it strong enough to hold the hood on without the side hood latches.
jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.