Fender help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fender help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
jeepwrangler89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fender help

I am currently running 33x12.5x15 tires on 2.5 inches of lift with the stock flares. The tires are sticking at least 4 inches beyond the flares, and i was looking at the bushwacker and Xenon flat flares. Any oppinions on the two or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jeepwrangler89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of the bushwhacker or tag extended flares I took off mind if u'd like a used set on the cheap. I put tj flares on mine but they do not come close to covering my tires like the old ones did. Flat xenon tj style flares look the best in my opinion but thy r like 500 bucs which I would never waste on sumthing like flares.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler89 View Post
I am currently running 33x12.5x15 tires on 2.5 inches of lift with the stock flares. The tires are sticking at least 4 inches beyond the flares, and i was looking at the bushwacker and Xenon flat flares. Any oppinions on the two or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Go tube fenders. Metalcloak is the best thats out there so why not give 'em a call? My 6" flares cover my tires and then some to keep it legal and keeps the mud from covering my window.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
lukeh
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do the metalcloak flares require the metalcloak fenders, or will the 6" flares mount on the stock fenders?
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh View Post
Do the metalcloak flares require the metalcloak fenders, or will the 6" flares mount on the stock fenders?
You need the fenders. Trust me, they're well worth the investment especially if you're pricing out a lift you can get it a few inches shorter and skip the SYE and new driveshaft and still fit larger tires up front and have tons of room to flex it out.

Tons of room and tons of tire coverage. I know it's a poser shot but it was for brake line, shock length and rear rubbing educational purposes. And it looked neat.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Thanks
Like Anticanman said, go metal cloak. They will set you back about $700 for fenders and flares....the clearance is astronomical though. I currently have extended fender flares (purchased from a fellow JF member, so I don't know the brand). They cover my tire perfectly, bolted up to the stock position, and look nice.

PM me if you want to buy them...Im looking to buy metal cloak's myself
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

tags are cheap to buy, i think i paid $200. your rim offset might be part of the problem
my-poser-shot.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
jeepwrangler89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the answers guys. Im new to the jeep world and even newere to jeep forum so this has been alot of help. Ill deffinentaly look into the tube fenders.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #9
jeepwrangler89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone else have any pics of the tube fenders on a yj?
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does anyone else have any pics of the tube fenders on a yj?
As in "not me"?
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
jeepwrangler89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thats not what i meant, would you happen to have any side veiw pics? sorry, should have specified.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Be happy to snap some if this isn't the right angle

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Like Anticanman said, go metal cloak. They will set you back about $700 for fenders and flares....the clearance is astronomical though. I currently have extended fender flares (purchased from a fellow JF member, so I don't know the brand). They cover my tire perfectly, bolted up to the stock position, and look nice.

PM me if you want to buy them...Im looking to buy metal cloak's myself
so u did not have to cut the body up? u just replaced the stockflares and that portion of the tub an bolted it on?
2.5L w/ AX-5, NP231J w/ Rugged Ridge SYE and XJ front driveshaft, open D30 and D35 w/ 4.10 ratio, stock JK 18in wheels w/ Spydertrax 1.25in spacers and 32in toyo at, 2.5in RC lift with .5in shackles(BESRK), rear TJ flares. 8.8 rebuild soon
BIGJoe29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
jeepwrangler89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks sweet dude!! how was the installation? like joe said did u have to trim to body or just remove the fender?
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Fireman4X4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Be happy to snap some if this isn't the right angle

Not a single leak under the Jeep...but the dog seems to have a leak of some sort
Colorado Jeep Club Member #252
1994 YJ with lots of fun stuff
2003 KJ Bone stock piece of junk[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Fireman4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.