Fender flares...on or off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fender flares...on or off?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
bscline09

Fender flares...on or off?

Does anyone have any pictures close up and of whole jeep with fenders on and off? I was going to take mine off the other day but not sure of how it would look and wasnt gonna take em off if I was to put them right back on...guess I was being lazy. Just put some 33s on and get a slight rub in flare. Also, I want to soon take the side step off and all the stuff down the side off too. When you take that off, does it show the bolt holes bad and does sheet a strip of sheet metal cover that pretty good? Just wanting you guys inputs on this...

bscline09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

If your rubbing I would leave them on. Better for those tires to rub plastic than metal if you know what I mean.

The side steps should connect underneith so you can remove those and noone should notice. Just leave the metal strips/bolts in the tub.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go to some TJ flares. You will get about an inch of clearance and you still have the fenders to protect your tires. I have heard NC can be tough on tires not being covered (ie fenders, fender flares, mud flaps, etc.).

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I removed my flares the other day and would love to run without them, I think it gives it a whole different look. Unfortunately its a $124 fine in WA and ID for not having them cover all but 2 inches of tire.
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Do you have wider tires?
I ran without flares for a wile, but decided to put them back on. I have 33x12.5's, and without the flares, they stick out about 6" past the body, and I did like the look without flares. But, every time I would hit a little puddle, or bit of mud(wet gravel roads), the tires threw so much grime onto the windshield that I was always having to turn on the wipers. That got old really quickly, and I put the flares back on.
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
s_man692000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscline09 View Post
Does anyone have any pictures close up and of whole jeep with fenders on and off? I was going to take mine off the other day but not sure of how it would look and wasnt gonna take em off if I was to put them right back on...guess I was being lazy. Just put some 33s on and get a slight rub in flare. Also, I want to soon take the side step off and all the stuff down the side off too. When you take that off, does it show the bolt holes bad and does sheet a strip of sheet metal cover that pretty good? Just wanting you guys inputs on this...
Been running without mine for about a month (removed to fix rust ) ,there is no law in NY saying I cannot.

jeep-pics-002.jpg

1" lift shackles w/31x10.50 r15's

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.