Fender Cutting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fender Cutting

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
jschroder
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fender Cutting

I installed a 4" RC lift and put on 33x12 tires and after going out a couple times I have broken my fender flare and noticed I am rubbing the body quite a bit with the tires. Any suggestions on getting a little more clearance? Should I cut the fenders out and install newer style flares? Has anybody had this same problem and dealt with it by cutting?

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

TJ Flares, trim fender, 1 or 2" body lift, and adjust your bump stops. I have the flares, trimmed fenders and 3" BL and rub to the point that I cracked both front fenders. I have not adjusted my bump stops though.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
will_982
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got the Rough Country fender flares, because they were cheapest. They are TJ style rear flares and require you to cut the back of the of the fender. Wasn't to bad to do.
will_982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dadstoy is correct.

Do you have bumpstops set correctly?

I have major fender trimming on my pile, but I run 40's on stock springs SOA. I have no rubbing what-so-ever.

Doug

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
Rodeo1488
By These Things I Stand !

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
TJ Flares, trim fender, 1 or 2" body lift, and adjust your bump stops. I have the flares, trimmed fenders and 3" BL and rub to the point that I cracked both front fenders. I have not adjusted my bump stops though.
I'm not sure that I would ever install even a 2" BL, much less a 3" BL
White Jeep Club Member #1488
"Sometimes, there's Justice.......Sometimes, there's Just Us. "
- Living my life on a Thin Blue Line -

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayJeep
If that doesn't work, here's what you do. Buy a bunch of burritos and tie them to pieces of string. Then tie the strings to your Jeep. Then, when the meskins come out of the house drawn by the smell, you drive away. The meskins will chase burritos for miles and miles.
Rodeo1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
jschroder
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. That's kind of what I thought I just wanted to make sure. Now I've got another project to keep me busy on the weekend.
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of TJ flares. If you want them PM me. Keep cutting till there is no rubbing.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.