Feel "clunk" through steering column when you change from Accel to Decel or opposite - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Feel "clunk" through steering column when you change from Accel to Decel or opposite

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Feel "clunk" through steering column when you change from Accel to Decel or opposite

I hope that subject made sense.

When I am driving in any gear, and I get on, then off the gas, I feel a clunk through the steering column.

I have little or no play in the column. It only happens when the weight changes (from accel to decel). It happens in any gear. It happens in 2WD.

I can't see anything touching the intermediate shaft. Pitman arm looks OK.

No clunk if your stopped and turn the steering wheel side to side.

It has something to do with front Axle wrap or rotation. That is about all that changes when you switch from accel to decel and back.

It is sort of like a ball joint is bad, or perhaps a shackle bolt. But I only feel it through the steering wheel.

As dumb as this sounds, any one else have similar symptoms?

I'll crawl under it tonight and see if anything clunks.

Mark.
93 YJ, 4.0 L, 5 Speed
1" body lift
31x10.5 BFG
Stock suspension (for now)

PS. The only things I've worked on recently was installing longer brake lines, and I installed the 31" tires. I had 30's before. I assume the 31's are just amplifying the problem.

Mark_ZZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
sticksnstonesru

How tight is the steering shaft in-between the pitman arm and the point about 8" off the firewall (there should be a joint with a bearing that slips into a "sleeve" of sorts. If that bearing is sliding down the shaft, that the steering wheel will be loose. It'll turn fine, just will have lots of play. Could be the clunk? Outside of that...how are your driveshafts?

2007 Toyota Tundra Crew-max | 4x2 | 5.7L | Truxedo Tonneau | 20"'s | Leather | Fully debadged

1999 XJ | stock | 4.0
sticksnstonesru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well just out from under the jeep. All U-joints appear fine. Tie rods ends and pitman arm ball joint are not loose. Steering shaft has no play.

The only thing I found was the slip shaft on the front drive shaft has some play. If I try to move it up and down, I can see it "wiggle". I have no idea how much is OK.

I was wondering if I could remove the front drive shaft and drive it around to see if the clunk went away. Dumb question ... is there a slip yolk at the transfer case?

Mark.
Mark_ZZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

You might give those U joints another look. Just a thought
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
ddrury

The same thing happened to my YJ when I bought it new. I took it back to the dealer and they ended up removing the steering column and other things. It has been ten years, so I cannot remember what the problem was exactly. There were able to fix it. I had to take it to them a couple times though. They did not believe me. Because it was new, it was very slight.

D.
ddrury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ZZ3
The only thing I found was the slip shaft on the front drive shaft has some play. If I try to move it up and down, I can see it "wiggle". I have no idea how much is OK.

Mark.

The front drive shaft is almost certainly not the problem, but you could remove it to see for sure. Really no amount of wiggle is good. At highway speeds the wiggle can cause driveline vibration and make the ride uncomfortable. I know this from experience.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.