Faulty o-ring at clutch master or ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Faulty o-ring at clutch master or ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Keep blowing oring on clutch line at master. Can't find new line or used locally...

1991 yj 4.0 5speed internal slave

Replaced me clutch master (for the second time) and keep loosing pressure where the high pressure line joins clutch master. I removed the roll pin and replaced the rubber o-ring. Put it back together and my clutch felt great for about 3 pumps then the pressure let loose at the o-ring again..
Should I.. Replace the master again? Or the high pressure line (with quick connect in the middle... What is wearing out here? Thx

Last edited by Vwnotcher; 12-26-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Not well represented
Vwnotcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the line between master and slave is NLA. Crappy. On the way to the wrecks for a used line..
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

what M/S did you use. The last one I put on lasted about 1000k before it blew out..... Somethings arent made like they use to be.
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the plastic ms return it and get a metal one
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is the third master I have used ... All have been metal. I thnk the problem is the fitting on the line itself. Where the oring it, .. Almost like the roll pin isn't pressing the line in firmly enough, or as if the oring is letting fluid by... And I changed the oring once today to see if it made any difference and it didn't. I'll have a used high pressure line from the wrecker by tomorrow afternoon.. I hope it solves the problem.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I went to the wrecker near my home that contains the majority of jeeps around here. Not a single clutch line matched mine... Roll pin fitting at master and quick connect near the slave.

My new question is there a yj clutch master that uses a standard threaded brake line style fitting AND has the same hydraulic cc transfer as my clutch master?
This would allow me to just line a solid clutch line from the new clutch master bypassing the quick connect and attaching to the line hanging out of my slave cylinder? Some of the yj tubs I saw at the wrecker has clutch masters that had threaded fittings. I don't know which year they were or whether they were 2.5 or 4 liters.. Or for internal or external slaves... (It was dark .. All I had was my phone for light

Anyways. Today I'm going to buy a slightly thicker oring and see if it holds..

Thx Ted
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I also never really mentioned.. I did put on maybe about 200 km before the oring failed on the new master.
My pervious master (also metal ) leaked on the engine side, not the plunger side. It could have been leaking from the oring then, but I never looked that closely.. At $50 or whatever it was for the m/s I just went and bought a new one...

I also don't want to change to an external slave right now so that's not an answer for me

Thx Ted
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's possible the line is slightly off. The idea of scrapping the push-in line with the roll pin is interesting. Using a metal clutch master, you could thread the hole and place a hose fitting in it, eliminating the stock configuration. Hmmm..

Fill in your Jeep forum profile for your vehicle - Thanks!

I couldn't find a replacement clutch fluid line when ours was leaking. I had a steel braided one made at a local HoseMan shop for about $90. No issues since.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I thought about threading my current master but though it quicker to swap it out for a stock yj threaded master...
I wasn't sure if the mating surface of the flared line and master would be correct..

I filled out my jeep profile
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe I wasn't pushing the line into the master far enough before driving in the roll pin. I'll have to pop it apart again and look at the fitting to see if this is possible for if the roll pin to go through the hole when the line in not pushed in far enough.
Can do.much else until the stores around me open tomorrow .
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the master on my 87 is threaded.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Vwnotcher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly found a used roll pin style line an hour away from me. Going to grab it tomorrow and try it first.. Then I'm going to go for the threaded master (4.2 setup?) unless someone tells me it won't work . Thx

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.