Faulty Brake Proportioning Valve - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Dixierambler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Faulty Brake Proportioning Valve

I recently eliminated the ABS system on my 94 YJ, I ordered the non ABS proportioning valve and installed it with no problems. However, after a couple of weeks running the Jeep the valve started to leak through the plastic switch mount. Thinking it was just a bad valve, I ordered a second one and have been running it for several weeks. Now the second valve is leaking at the same spot. At $80 a pop I need to find out what is going on and/or why is this happening. I have included a pic for reference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Attached Thumbnails
Pvalve.jpg  

Support our Troops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
are the brakes working normally?
Is the valve centered? (unscrew the plastic switch and look in to see)
Are you certain the lines are in the right places?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Dixierambler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
are the brakes working normally?
Is the valve centered? (unscrew the plastic switch and look in to see)
Are you certain the lines are in the right places?
Brakes have been working fine. I'll check to see if the valve is centered. Pretty sure brakes lines are correct although I will confirm. What puzzles me is both valves have leaked about two to three weeks after they were installed. All stock setup on my brakes. Thanks for your time and help.

JC

post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 03:17 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
there should not be any fluid in the area. The centering rod should have O rings on both sides to keep it sealed. I would suspect a bad or missing O ring or it's way off center.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Dixierambler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
there should not be any fluid in the area. The centering rod should have O rings on both sides to keep it sealed. I would suspect a bad or missing O ring or it's way off center.
jbolty, thanks for your time and help. Checked and my brake lines are hooked up correctly. Not sure if the centering rod is centered. I took the plastic brake switch off and really couldn't tell if it was centered or not. What would cause it to be off centered and is there a way to center it? Once again, this is the second new valve doing the same thing as before. Thanks again.

JC

Support our Troops
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
These may not be a jeep valve but they are all about the same. The rod floats in the middle and if the pressure on front or rear drops, like if a hose blows out, the rod is pushed over to cut fluid to that side. When that happens the rod contacts the switch and turns on the light. The center indented part should be visible if it's centered

The O ring on either side should keep fluid out of the center. You can take the valve apart and check the seals.
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a reason you can't just put the ABS valve back in? I think the only difference is usually that an ABS valve has more rear bias than a non-abs valve, but I don't know for sure on the YJ.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just for reference, where the lines go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Dixierambler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all for the replies. Since this is the second valve I have installed in the last two months, I hate to think the seals would be bad in both. However, anything is possible. I thought I might have some kinda excess pressure which was forcing fluid past the seals and up through the brake switch. I don't have the old ABS valve to check.

I think I have read just about every thread on this issue. It seems that there are others who have had this same problem. Unfortunately, none of them appeared to have a fix or cause for the issue, other than plugging the plastic brake switch. If this is a seal issue or just plain faulty valve, I guess I need to look into the warranty end for the valve. Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

JC

Support our Troops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.