fast idle and I think I know why - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fast idle and I think I know why

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

fast idle and I think I know why

I have intermittent fast idle, only when i let off on the gas slowly. I have tracked it down to my throttle body valve not closing all the way when I let off on the gas. If i punch the gas pedal it returns to normal. If I push the throttle shut by the return spring on the throttle body it idles fine. So, do I need to clean the throttle body while off the jeep, I tried to clean it by hand but it didn't help, or would a stronger return spring do the trick, do these springs wear out?

Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look at that grub screw underneath the throttle cable, I read an article in JP magazine that was exactly the same as what you wrote. There are bearings inside the TB that could go bad if not greased but it would be unlikely. Check where the able comes through to make sure it's not catching the sleeve.
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure your throttle body is clean as well. Mine got a little build up in it and would not close all the way. I took 5 mins to clean it and no problems since.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, gives me a couple areas to check.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.