Fan Install and Question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fan Install and Question...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
mowdak1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fan Install and Question...

Recently installed an after market electric fan kit in my 88 YJ - 2.5L engine. Shroud was missing when I bought it, and bearing was out in the fan clutch. Never overheated, but it needed fixin, none the less!! I E-Bayed the fan kit through northcoastperf, on a Buy-it-Now, cheaper than I could buy the clutch and shroud used. I gain a few horsepower, and it affords me options like turning off the cooling fan when it isn't needed up here in ND.

One I ordered came with -

•2 Procomp 10" Fans (w/ mounting feet)
•2 Mounting Tie Strap Kits
•1 Derale Thermostat Fan Controller Kit

Measurements:
•Thickness- 1 1/4" at edge, 2.5" at center
•Height- 11 1/4"
•Single Fan Width- 10 3/4"
•Dual Fan Width- 21 1/2"

Derale Electric Thermo Fan Controller Kit included -

•Thermostat is a Single Stage Controller
•3/8" pipe thread water jacket thread-in brass probe.
•Activates turn on at 180'F and shuts off at 170'F.
•Will work on any 12 volt fan.
•Relay is 30/40 amp, heavy duty for fans that draw over 10 amps.
•Maximum capacity is 25 amps.
•A/C override circuit included.
•Designed for single and dual fan setups.
•Kit includes thermostat switch, relay w/ wiring & fuse, wire hardware and relay holder screw, installation booklet with diagram.

Actually... pretty much everything you need to install the kit, but not quite, delivered to my door, for a whopping $70!

Wasn't impressed with the through radiator mounting kit; hanging fans on aluminum radiator fins, on an off road vehicle, just don't seem wise. So I went to the local machine shop and picked up a piece of 1" x 3/16" flat and built a frame to mount all of this too. Then I bolted it to the radiator frame, where the shroud was once mounted. (On a side note... The dual 10 inch fan kit does NOT fit within the radiator frame work, it's about a half inch too wide, so use of the through radiator mount was not an option on this installation. I measured all of it before ordering, and knew that going into the install.)

<~~ Clickable thumbnails y'all...

Installation was relatively sweet and simple, clamped it all together, marked my holes and drilled them, welded up my framework for the mounting bracket, turning the center support perpendicular to the remainder of the frame to give it a little additional strength, and prevent front to rear flex. Between this and structural integrity of the fans themselves, there is very little flex in this mounted unit. It maybe moves 1/8th of an inch back and forth, worst scenario, and it all sits a 1/2" or better from the radiator itself. It's actually WAY MORE RIGID than I anticipated! Yet, on the other hand, allows enough give that it shouldn't destroy the radiator bouncing around.

Had intended running a toggle to shut the fan off during cooler weather, water crossings, whatever, and in reviewing the wiring diagram, the kit comes wired for a manual override. I picked up a 3 position toggle, and wired it so it affords an Auto/Off/On configuration.

Assorted hardware, steel, additional wire for the almost but not quite a wiring harness, toggle switch, etc. totalled around $25, so I'm still under a $100 total for this repair/improvement.

PROBLEM IS... When I went to screw the 2 piece temperature sensor...

...into the plugged hole in the thermostat housing...

The brass fitting is the wrong size!

Parts list in the kit suggest this is a 3/8" OD brass plug. Aluminum plug in the thermostat housing is just a hair smaller, but I don't have anything to check it with. Almost suspect it may be metric, since it doesn't appear to be a nominal pipe size.

Would any of you guys happen to know what size and thread this plug in the thermostat housing is, so I can try to locate an appropriately sized plug??

As for the fan kit... I LOVE IT!!

Dual fan installation it's supposed to move 1800 CFM. Fan direction can be reversed if you want to mount them in front of the radiator and push air. Currently running them on the manual override, so I simply have fan any time the ignition switch is on, and they are amazingly quiet!! Jeep runs better at low speed for some unknown reason, has noticeably better performance, and is WAY quieter. Took it out for a test drive after install; 35 miles of beating around prairie trails and 3 miles of highway home, it was cool enough you could put your hand on the radiator and it wasn't even a little uncomfortable.

mowdak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

great job ill be using this in the near future. sorry i cant help you on the plug size
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why not drill and tap the thermostat housing for the one you have?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
woodmanxxx
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fine metric thread, it might be a 3/8 bspt, as opposed to our 3/8 npt, not something he (or most people) would have a tap for. Also, that would be very touchy to not cross thread or strip something like that if it is going into a coarser thread. You would be better off running a 3/8 npt die over the brass piece.
My controller (a different brand), came with a sensor that looks very similar, but has a thin brass probe attached to the end which you stick through the radiator and put a c-clip on the far side of it.

Regardless, if this was sold as a vehicle specific kit, the seller should help you out with the correct sensor.
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
mowdak1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wasn't a vehicle specific kit, unfortunately... so dealer help on it is not an option.

Emailed seller through E-Bay to inquire about a plug designed for this application, and haven't received a reply, so I went to the Derale Performance website and looked for a different heat probe. They do offer the through radiator probe, (it in fact comes on the Jeep specific fan kit they offer), likewise they have one that fits inside the radiator hose where it attaches to the radiator (although I couldn't see how you'd get the hose to seal around the probe wire). In the screw in probe department however, all they offer is the 3/8" probe found in this kit.

I contemplated retapping the thermostat housing, but it is of course cast aluminum and I honestly don't know if it would stand up to drilling thinner and tapping. That may however be a cheaper option if I can EBay a thermostat housing cheap enough to experiment with! In fact that sounds like a plan!!

I could cut the cooling hose running to the intake manifold, (it's the hose coming off right above the plug), and plumb a tee into that hose easy enough, but I'd rather not have 2 more hose clamps, and all the additional threads to sprout leaks if I don't have too. And... that puts the sensor out further away from the thermostat, where temperature readings may not be as accurate.

Again, Derale does make a Jeep specific kit guys, comes with shroud, and it bolts right into the original shroud mounting holes, using the factory bolts. That one moves more air than this kit, in fact it moves as much as this one on low speed. However...

1.) That kit cost a whole lot more than the $100 I have into this setup.
2.) My little 4 banger has never run warm without the shroud on it, so I wasn't really concerned with a whole lot of air being moved.
3.) I don't have AC on mine, so that's not an issue.
4.) I live in a town of 500 people, in the middle of nowhere in ND, traffic jams are unheard of here! Or, anywhere for 4 - 5 hundred miles or so, for that matter! So that's not an issue.

If you have to deal with any of those factors you might want to think about the Jeep Kit. And honestly, it wouldn't take much to fabricate a shroud for this kit.

Only weakness I see in this setup, as it came from the factory, is both motors are fused together, with one 30 amp in-line blade type fuse. Personally, I think I'm going to splice 2 more fuse sockets in and fuse each fan seperately. That way if one fan goes, you don't lose both.

Thanks for the help guys!!
mowdak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you search the forum you can find a few different ways of doing that sensor: tap the Tstat housing, open the hose and put a t in it to mount it (the line to the tstat), probe into the hose (its actually seals very well), or a probe that slides into the radiator fins (Like mine). All will work. You compensate the fan on/off for the location with what ever adjustment is available with the setup.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.