Fan Belt Squealing>>help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fan Belt Squealing>>help...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fan Belt Squealing>>help...

My fanbelt was squealing quite a bit the other morning, so I tightened her up a bit, seemed like it was fairly loose. That didn't stop anything. I sprayed some belt "lube"(?) on it, and it actually got louder.

The belt itself is less than 6 months old, and the waterpump is about a year old...

any ideas?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
branjmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How are the rest of your components? Alternator working ok? Power steering pump? Pulley bearings aren't siezed?
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
How are the rest of your components? Alternator working ok? Power steering pump? Pulley bearings aren't siezed?
The alternator should be just fine. The battery was drained before I discovered the squeal, but I did leave my lights on.

Ill look into the steering pump and pulley bearings, never Messed with them before

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got a loud squeal the other day when my water pump went out. I know you said it was only a year old, but check the coolant levels just in case. I had no puddle under mine when I discovered the water pump died, which means it drained sometime before the last time I parked it
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaffy
I got a loud squeal the other day when my water pump went out. I know you said it was only a year old, but check the coolant levels just in case. I had no puddle under mine when I discovered the water pump died, which means it drained sometime before the last time I parked it
Just added more coolant. Seemed to do a bit better but not completely gone by any stretch.

Looking into power steering now

Unread 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I knew that it was absolutely my pump when it happened because just like you I added more coolant, went for a short cruise and then parked her to see if I could see any leaking. It was POURING out of the weep hole on the pump. I was actually relieved I saw this because it removes all doubt as to whether it was the water pump or not.
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't seen it leaking coolant yet, took it on a short cruise as well.

how would you test pulley bearings?

Unread 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Take the belt off and spin them by hand. If they sound scratchy or have a lot of play then they will need replacing. I'm concerned that one isn't turning.
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

a couple shots of silicone lubricant will stop a squealing belt, what a stupid idea...... do it the squeal will be gone and then it won't seem like such a stupid idea anymore.
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just put my Jeep together last week and the new belt did not squeal, but it felt a little loose. I tightened it up and it started to squeal. Loosened it back up. Who knows?
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are there grooves on the side of the belt? If so, your alternator bracket is bent or misaligned. It happens.

If the squealing was from the alternator belt and correlates to running the motor after your battery went flat, then the squealing is caused by the huge amount of work the alternator is doing to recharge the low battery. SO, more HO is flowing thru the belt to the alternator, and causing the squeal. Properly tightening it should eliminate the noise.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Worn harmonic balancer? They can make a belt like noise. The rubber wears and they creep in a little and slightly brush the timing cover. Spray something on it to see if the sound changes.
Note: This applies to the 4.0 liter. Not sure about the 2.5. Maybe?
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
rmappelt
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure to check the idler pulley. Mine was squealing badly and I noticed that the belt didn't line up properly on it (but was fine on the others). Belt came off not 5 minutes later. Unscrewed the idler pulley by hand and of course the bearings are shot.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-93-yj-build-slow-low-cog-1229470/"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]My build: OuraYJ[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
rmappelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

never put belt dressing on a serpentine belt...
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
Bergy1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think we are talking about a serpentine belt.
Bergy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.