JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Fan Belt Squealing>>help... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/fan-belt-squealing-help-1573949/)

branjmb 09-10-2013 01:24 PM

Fan Belt Squealing>>help...

My fanbelt was squealing quite a bit the other morning, so I tightened her up a bit, seemed like it was fairly loose. That didn't stop anything. I sprayed some belt "lube"(?) on it, and it actually got louder.

The belt itself is less than 6 months old, and the waterpump is about a year old...

any ideas?

Anticanman 09-10-2013 01:38 PM

How are the rest of your components? Alternator working ok? Power steering pump? Pulley bearings aren't siezed?

branjmb 09-10-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman
How are the rest of your components? Alternator working ok? Power steering pump? Pulley bearings aren't siezed?

The alternator should be just fine. The battery was drained before I discovered the squeal, but I did leave my lights on.

Ill look into the steering pump and pulley bearings, never Messed with them before

bluedaffy 09-10-2013 02:00 PM

I got a loud squeal the other day when my water pump went out. I know you said it was only a year old, but check the coolant levels just in case. I had no puddle under mine when I discovered the water pump died, which means it drained sometime before the last time I parked it :eek:

branjmb 09-10-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaffy
I got a loud squeal the other day when my water pump went out. I know you said it was only a year old, but check the coolant levels just in case. I had no puddle under mine when I discovered the water pump died, which means it drained sometime before the last time I parked it :eek:

Just added more coolant. Seemed to do a bit better but not completely gone by any stretch.

Looking into power steering now

bluedaffy 09-10-2013 02:12 PM

I knew that it was absolutely my pump when it happened because just like you I added more coolant, went for a short cruise and then parked her to see if I could see any leaking. It was POURING out of the weep hole on the pump. I was actually relieved I saw this because it removes all doubt as to whether it was the water pump or not.

branjmb 09-10-2013 03:27 PM

Haven't seen it leaking coolant yet, took it on a short cruise as well.

how would you test pulley bearings?

Anticanman 09-10-2013 04:47 PM

Take the belt off and spin them by hand. If they sound scratchy or have a lot of play then they will need replacing. I'm concerned that one isn't turning.

rubisean 09-10-2013 05:34 PM

a couple shots of silicone lubricant will stop a squealing belt, what a stupid idea...... do it the squeal will be gone and then it won't seem like such a stupid idea anymore.

tom_sprecher 09-10-2013 05:51 PM

I just put my Jeep together last week and the new belt did not squeal, but it felt a little loose. I tightened it up and it started to squeal. Loosened it back up. Who knows? ;)

plym49 09-10-2013 06:01 PM

Are there grooves on the side of the belt? If so, your alternator bracket is bent or misaligned. It happens.

If the squealing was from the alternator belt and correlates to running the motor after your battery went flat, then the squealing is caused by the huge amount of work the alternator is doing to recharge the low battery. SO, more HO is flowing thru the belt to the alternator, and causing the squeal. Properly tightening it should eliminate the noise.

Chrisnvegas 09-10-2013 07:24 PM

Worn harmonic balancer? They can make a belt like noise. The rubber wears and they creep in a little and slightly brush the timing cover. Spray something on it to see if the sound changes.
Note: This applies to the 4.0 liter. Not sure about the 2.5. Maybe?

rmappelt 09-11-2013 01:37 PM

Make sure to check the idler pulley. Mine was squealing badly and I noticed that the belt didn't line up properly on it (but was fine on the others). Belt came off not 5 minutes later. Unscrewed the idler pulley by hand and of course the bearings are shot. http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5496190a.jpg

kahanabob 09-11-2013 03:16 PM

never put belt dressing on a serpentine belt...

Bergy1 09-11-2013 03:49 PM

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think we are talking about a serpentine belt.

The time now is 09:38 PM.