Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Family style roll bar

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  fmrplt 
#1 ·
Did a search but cant find the info
What year family style roll bar will fit in my 90?
Any mods need to be done?
Thanks

#2 ·
92-95 yj family roll bar is a direct bolt in. I belive, only because I have not done it yet, the shoulder belts require some modification to get them working. The bar bolts right in though.

#3 ·
Up to '95 will bolt in but will require some ovaling of the bottom holes for the bolts that go thru floor. Not that big of a deal. When you install/purchase family style bar it's nice to have the rear shoulder seat belts for the back seat riders. That was the main reason for putting mine in, kids can have shoulder belts and I could run the safari top to help keep the sun off of the back seat. Good luck.

#4 ·
Okay, I'm bumping this back up to the top because I want to install a family rollbar in my 87 wrangler. Thing is I found one from a 2004 TJ - will it fit? I still haven't seen it, I'm talking with the guy I can get it for about $100 and that's with the sound bar.

#5 ·
It's a 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon to be more specific.

#6 ·
This was covered a while back. The TJ roll bar can be installed but there is significant modification to the YJ tub for mounting bolt locations.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Rusty, it's so hard to find things without the search option. On the mods, is that for the back mounting or the front included. I know I would have to modify for the shoulder mounted seatbelts if I kept them in the back. But if I just kept my lap belts instead?

#8 ·
I searched and am having some trouble finding exactly what the issue is but I found a post by Naekid:

NaeKid said:
It is easier finding a YJ roll-bar from a 1992-1995 and slipping it into place than trying to make a TJ roll-bar work.

There are minor differences due to the tub getting a re-design (they changed the shape of the rear fenders) - but if you are good with a welder and a grinder, you can make anything fit!
So, it sounds like if you have access to a welder you can make it work. :cheers2:

#9 ·
Yes, I have a welder. So you're saying the width is different in the back?

#10 ·
Well, I know the tub between the YJ and TJ is different in width. From the stuff I have read, the roll bar is slightly wider in the YJ than the TJ. Yes in the back. Still doing some reading on it for ya, cuz now I am curious as to what is actually the difference.

#11 ·
This guy has been trying to get rid of it for a while now. I'll email him and get some measurements.

#12 · (Edited)
fmrplt said:
This guy has been trying to get rid of it for a while now. I'll email him and get some measurements.
Ask for pics of the mounts as well. You should be able to tell visually how much modification you need.

I made a thread in the TJ section to try and get some answers as well.

#13 ·
#14 ·
If is worth anything, I just put the family style rollbar in my 89' off of a 92'. Some slight grinding with a dremel to the bottom holes on the front braces and it was good to go. Regarding seat belts...Bought brand new ones off of Quadratec and they work great.

#15 ·
I see. The bottom of the front hoop is on the floor - flat, whereas the 87 is attached to the upright portion of the tub. Even with all my masterful skills of welding :teehee: I don't think I could pull it off and make it look descent. Thanks for your help. I guess I'm better off look for a bolt in model.

#17 ·
hdfxrs91 said:
I'm sure you have your reasons for doing this, but I kind of like the look of the sport bars over the family bars. It just looks more "Jeep-like".
the ONLY reason I am doing it, 2 kids...............

#19 ·
I want it to hang more stuff there. I'm installing a front hoop and want to put two more center supports in. That way I can move my CB up and out of the way and maybe put a small lock box there. I also have the sound bar I want to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.