Family bar swap/upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Family bar swap/upgrade

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Family bar swap/upgrade

so doing a rust repair as well, but figured I would start another thread for the roll bar swap/upgrade...

I took my sport bar out and that is what started the whole repair, was just gonna throw the family bar in but figured hm..

so first I used the sawzall to cut hte sport bar....

cut like this..

this will give me the 2 pieces needed, depending on where you want it in there and how you mount it.... but just the cut was basicallythe right length for me...

then I cut the flat part off, the bottom, and a small piece off the toe of it bar.... you going for something like this....

The piece I cut off...

Where Im headed, It but up against hte bottom of the family bar, I will add a small piece of iron to the bottom so it is all flat....

The top takes a bit more shaping as teh seatbelt mount is going to get in your way, again depending on where you want to seld in the end, I like the angle I was getting with the stock length, so I went this route...

have to shape and cut a slot out of hte bar to get it to fit around and over the seatbelt weld...

the difference...

The angle is about where the old sport bar was, you can see the familybar is far superior, he was gettign to tall for the back with jsut the sport bar....

need to weld it all upnow... test fitted and good to go...

I will ust he rest for a windsheild bar, and what left if enough to run down along the insdie of the windsheild andtie into the floor...

I may need to buya little bit of tub but I think I will be good.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

You would have been better off IMO using a piece of that pipe to tie the two rear bars together across the top to prevent them from folding in if you ever rolled it.

Right above the two rear seat belt mounting points would be just the ticket.
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
You would have been better off IMO using a piece of that pipe to tie the two rear bars together across the top to prevent them from folding in if you ever rolled it.

that is in the works as well, jsut have not quite figure out how yet..... prolly just like a 60 degree angle tie into the middle of the center bar and out to each rear corner, on the top.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

A single bar straight across the back (parallel to the main hoop) would work as well. It helps spread the load across both rear legs.

You could then triangulate that to the main hoop if you wanted to.
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Douglas S.

Quote:

I wouldn't use pipe in a roll cage.
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
I wouldn't use pipe in a roll cage.
I'm talking about a piece of the factory "pipe" or "tubing" (if that make you feel better) from the OEM roll bar.

Unread 06-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I really like the upgrade
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Douglas S.

Quote:
I'm talking about a piece of the factory "pipe" or "tubing" (if that make you feel better) from the OEM roll bar.

I figured that's what you meant. I just didn't want someone who didn't know the difference getting confused.
Unread 06-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
I figured that's what you meant. I just didn't want someone who didn't know the difference getting confused.
No harm, no foul.

I don't even want to start yet another debate on DOM vs. HREW for roll cages.
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so to upgrade this thread abit, the roll bar is in place, and the sides are done, still have to add a couple bars on 45 from teh center out to where it bends down to the tub, weld those in and I will be content with the back, next will be an upgrade to the front along the windwheild and down to the floor..

Bones wants to tie it to the frame but I dont really wheel that hard, but I guiess ya never know, so gonna explore some optisn there to....

once it is all back together and the frame is done, I will remove the bar again and clean up this are on both sides, to hard to get at now, and the bar needed to be bolted in place beforethe welding could be done on the sides..

HOLY %$@)&^+...... I think he was a little tired this morning....

took an hour to grind that bubble gum off there

anyhow that is all for now on the bar.... moving onto the frame again

Last edited by giggityjeeper; 07-13-2010 at 09:28 AM..
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Just curious since you make it seem so easy. What kind of welder do you have and how did you learn to fab and weld. Great job. I have it bookmarked for future refrence!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I dont weld, a friend is doing the welding for me, as for fabbing, just keep test fitting it, go slow, Im not a fabber either, but its mostly common sense, putting it in place and looking to see where your going with it, and what you want in the end. when I did the body it wa a bit more, some of it is structutal and some not, so there ya gotta make sure the structural stuff is just that, strong..

the family bar is almost a direct bolt in, once I cut the sport bar ends off, I just held it up where I wanted it, the angle here can be what you prefer, just I like this angle, and it was ALMOST right to begin with just had to do some grinding.. mark it and cut it with a cut off wheel at the toe, the rest was lots of grinding and fitting, a drill press would make this a world easier as you could get the half circle needed to wrap around the bar....

guess just dont grind to much off, if you take to much off your in a hard way, gaps cant be big when welding..

as for welder, so far we are using his lincoln mig pak 10, and he has a miller stick welder, but we did not use the stick welder, the lincoln got good penetration, actually blew thru in a couple spots so we turned it down....

Unread 07-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well got a little further on this today... dropped the belly pan and Tcase, getting the SYE here anyday now, so spent today trying to finish up the bar, and cleaning the frame underneath, since the tank and pan and tcase are out, and its up so high, **** I can sit nicelyunder there and grind that rust away...

pretty dusty tho...

Anyhow this will give yas the idea I was heading when I first posted, I did not want to do straight across the back, IF, IF, it ever rolled, all I can see thatdoing is folding to one side, I wanted some triangulation so forces get applied to the center of the rig, I hoping it never rolls, but hey...

anyow here is what I ended up with... well so far..

here is where I am going..

lots of ****ing around without a drill press and the 'cool' tools..

Lines up nice along the top as well..

just gotta weld in the other side, take it all back out... LOL **** me.. and paint it...

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

AND CAGE DONE.... took tiem off today to finish welding hte front for thje SOA, and welded the last piece as well, went over all the welds with his 220 and the same time,she is penetratred now, double penetrated on some welds... oh oh I said DP... I R in tubble now anyhow pics

sorry very excited shes coming together....

first 10 steps backwards again in taking the cage out to paint and clean...**** its heavy now thru my back out big time today lifting the front and taking this out just did me in I was on 2 robaxacet, then I lifted this out.... frick me

Ima thro this out there, but I dont know, I may sell my urban camo top, it fits ONLY sport bars... I gonna try and mod it to fit around the new welds at a upholsteryshop, but I may just sell it and try to find a urban camo family bar bikini...

I know I get mega comments on it and loads of ppl have asked on here where I got it but I have never seen to many of them...

I haveto say it looks sexy...

prolly hour or so ofclean up and have to weld a small piece on teh bottom to get it flush but she will be in tomorrow

Unread 12-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Nice work. I'm certain extra bars will help spread the loads if the cage ever gets used.

One bar that'd be easy to add now and will GREATLY increase the strength is a horizontal stringer from the two rear uprights;

Also there's been other threads about tying the cages into the frames by fabbing essentially extra "body mounts" but they extend over to where the roll cage bolts in, and it all together with the same bolts. Excuse my horrible paint skills;

It just adds that extra layer of security.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.