fall overhaul - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fall overhaul

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

fall overhaul

maybe not an overhaul, but since my pole barn is being built at the end of the summer, i figured after it gets up, mid september, i will take care of everything before the winter hits. so my biggest issues are paint/surface rust, the heater, exhaust, resealing the gaskets, and taking care of some minor oil leaks, both on the motor and the rear diff. i was out in it today and its been raining all day, the defrost wouldnt keep the windows clear. i did the blower motor upgrade, pulled the box and resealed it, nothing works. so I am torn between 2 options with this heater issue. Getting a new box, I can call the junk yards I deal with and see if they have one, or going with the mojave or heater craft boxes. I cant find many right ups on the mojave install, or the heater craft. Jcwhitney has the mojave box for $239, and the duct box for $69, since I would want defrost, i would have to get them both. A brand new omix box, just like the one in there now is as much as the other ones. i always have my 03 gc, and that heater works great, but id rather have my yj this winter. its better on gas, and i just like driving it better. so does anyone have a different heater other than the stock box? I read alot about putting the bigger blower motor in, and it just didnt it cut it for me, idk why. I see the whole box heater core and blower as well on ebay for less than $100. but I dont want to spend the money, and have the same problem. ok, so, how can i test this before i buy? obviously its something in the box thats causing the problem. the only wiring i dealt with was on the engine side of the firewall, just 1 wire that plugged into the blower motor. if i were to go to a junk yard, take one of their boxes, plug the wire in and change my controls would i be able to judge the air flow? ugh, i want this fixed. i get miniscule air flow from my defrost, and or heat. i added the duct work to point the heat at my feet instead of at the shifter, but it still doesnt have any push behind it. i used the blower from the 73 blazer. its the stupid things that drive you crazy. so new box, or different heater all together? The paint, well, my hard top needs a fresh coat, and my tub needs a good paint job. The p/o just did a flat paint with no clear coat. since they started using salt on the roads in pa, theres surface rust poking through. not really bad, its still surface rust at this point, but id rather take care of it before it becomes worse. So my plan is to take the bad spots down to metal, primer it, paint, then clear coat. I will probably just do rattle cans, since i found the paint i need in spray cans. then use rustoleum clear coat to finish. a long with a good wet sand i should be good. I would like to do the same with my body armor, bumpers, and flares. ill sand the hard top, then paint that. I will also do the same with the axles, springs, shackles, gas tank cover etc. I would hate to have the top looking great and the underside look like a rust bucket. the underside of my tub was rhino lined, or something of the sort. I am not too concerned with the inside of the top, since I carpeted it, just the outside. Now I am onto gaskets. Seems I have some leaks, mostly the windshield, side and rear windows on the hard top. I did silicone the gaskets on the side windows, since I only did the parts around the fiberglass, I guess it didnt solve the problem. Since when I have a heavy rain like today, i have water coming in around the bottom. Its better than it was when I first bought it, but its still annoying. I also have leaks at the windshield gasket. I am not sure exactly where it is, but since I have some rust around it, I may just want to buy a replacement gasket. Exhaust, well, I got leaks. I know there is one between the manifold and the cat, I was thinking about just cutting the cat off and either just piping it, or run a cherry bomb in front of the muffler, I dont have to do emissions, and my inspection guy doesnt look that close. I will probably pull the tb and replace the header gasket as well. Oil leaks, well, I have a leak at the rear diff, not at the plug at the input for the yoke. I guess pull that and replace the seal. I have some leaks on the motor as well, there is a small leak at the front of the oil pan, right below the main pulley. Idk what to do there. I have a leak I just noticed by the tb on the side. I havent messed with it bc of the crappy weather, but my oil pressure and level are good, so I will just keep an eye on it. Unless someone has a good idea of where it is coming from and what it is. Its a 2.5, no oil under, no oil in it? Anyway, so to sum it up, heater probably the most critical thing I am worried about, different, or new/used box? testing it prior to install if i go with a different box, or one of these after market heaters. exhaust, a good place to start for the leaks. welding vs clamping, and good solid spots for mounts. oil leaks, the rear diff is easy, well to locate the leak, changing the seal a whole different story. on the motor, idk, turn it on watch where the oil is blowing out i guess. but that one up front is one i am really worried about. painting, well, im figuring wire wheel and going to town with the grinder. any better ideas, lets hear em. i work 14, im off 14, so i have time to make it happen, i figure painting is last. so one step at a time, i plan on figuring the heater out first. so lets hear the ideas. thanks.

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.