failure to start!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > failure to start!!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-15-2001, 03:31 PM   #1
doctorfireant

failure to start!!

I have a slight problem I hope some of you might be able to help me with. I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cyl, manual trans, no mods to engine or exhaust, just larger tires.

The Jeep has been sluggish in starting the past few weeks. My daughter has been afraid it would not start at all at times. She put a new battery in it hoping that would solve the problem. It started for a few days, I still think it was sluggish, now it will not start at all. When the key is turned on the dash board information lights come on but nothing else happens. No clicking sound, no electrical sounds, nothing. I did not try to start it by placing in second gear and pushing.

Could this be a failed started, or ignition module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

doctorfireant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2001, 05:31 PM   #2
SBgreenYJ

Before you try to turn over engine next time, hit the starter with a mallet or a hammer but not too hard so you crack the casing. give it a couple of taps and have someone sit in the driver seat and try to start the engine. if it revvs a bit and doesnt want to go im not sure whats wrong but if it does start after tapping the starter then you will prolly need to head to your local parts store for a new starter
~$80-$130. Good Luck Hope that helps you.
Unread 09-17-2001, 12:01 AM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeap - probably either a blown starter solenoid or broken solenoid contacts. Before you go and replace the starter though, or even before you break out the hammer ( ), check to make sure the electric connections to the starter are clean and tight. You could have some corrosion built up that has broken electrical continuity in the circuit. Good luck!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2001, 07:02 PM   #4
mikeyjph

I had an ignition module problem, my jeep would start only about half the time on the first try, then it got down to about 1/4 of the time, then it wouldn't start at all, then it would die suddenly, even while driving down the freeway. It doesn't sound like your jeep has the same problem, so I would guess it's the starter, although it could definitely be a buildup of corrosion on your battery cables breaking the circuit. Try cleaning the clamps with a steel brush and see if that helps.
mikeyjph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2001, 08:44 PM   #5
doctorfireant

Thanks for replies. I have not had time to re-check yet. As soon as I do I will post my findings.
Unread 09-18-2001, 09:08 AM   #6
dartboy

Just a thought but, if it started better for awhile after you put a new battery in it, check your altenator. it may not be charging enough, thus running your battery down and giving you sluggish starts. Just a thought...good luck

Jason Duffy

-----------------

91 YJ Stock (wish it wasn't)
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2001, 07:45 AM   #7
87_Wrangler

I've been down this road myself. As has been mentioned previously, check your cables and terminals on the battery, starter solenoid and the starter. Once cleaned and re-attached, if problem persists, it may be the solenoid as was my case a few years ago.
Unread 09-19-2001, 09:27 AM   #8
doctorfireant

I checked all cables and connections, they were fine. I took out the ole' rubber mallet and tapped the starter several times, put the keys in the ignition and guess what, the sucker started.

Battery was well charged, so I do not think it was the alternator. Also my Jeep did not act like it was the ignition module, soooooo-

It looks like I need to purchase starter.

Thanks for all replies.
Unread 09-19-2001, 09:11 PM   #9
dartboy

On the brighter side, Jeep starters take about 5 minutes to change.
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2001, 09:25 PM   #10
Newfie

Quote:
Originally posted by dartboy:
On the brighter side, Jeep starters take about 5 minutes to change.
Yeah, but some of them require a @#$% Torx socket... Found that out the hard way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.