Failed Smog, again. High HC at Idle. - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Failed Smog, again. High HC at Idle.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #106
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok more stuff: you need a functioning egr if they test for egr. What they do is pull off the hose apply vacuum, and see if they can get it to "stumble". No stumble, no pass.

I pull plugs because the color the electrode is tells me rich or just right. I usually pull just one then put it right back in. I told you I am old.

piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #107
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko
Ok more stuff: you need a functioning egr if they test for egr. What they do is pull off the hose apply vacuum, and see if they can get it to "stumble". No stumble, no pass.

I pull plugs because the color the electrode is tells me rich or just right. I usually pull just one then put it right back in. I told you I am old.
The smog slip does say that they test for a functioning egr and that the one I currently have works. I'll go out there and suck on the tube and see what happens. Lol.

I can afford a fail if I have to, but I'd much rather not have to pay again. If there is something that would assure a pass and costs as much as a test($50 or so) I'd rather do that because I feel it'd help me in two years when I have to go again. I think an egr fits into that category but again, not sure lol.

Don't worry about being old. As far as I'm concerned the older you are the more knowledge you have.
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #108
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yuch, 50 bucks a pop. the EGR assy probably costs that. I guess the days of 8 dollar no pass no pay are gone. Cheaper places by the DMV ? a friend with a sniffer? School class? Referee at the DMV, or have you gone that route yet?

I am reasonably certain within a 6th std deviation that you'd pass now on the sniff test. Of course it isn't my 50 bucks were spending here. BTW is your idle speed within spec?

Up side: now that you have this and aren't showing codes, EFI generally passes. some years you have to change the oil and get a bottle of fuel system cleaner. My trips yearly consist of showing up, writing check, get pass papers, go home. about that fast.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #109
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
yuch, 50 bucks a pop. the EGR assy probably costs that. I guess the days of 8 dollar no pass no pay are gone. Cheaper places by the DMV ? a friend with a sniffer? School class? Referee at the DMV, or have you gone that route yet?

I am reasonably certain within a 6th std deviation that you'd pass now on the sniff test. Of course it isn't my 50 bucks were spending here. BTW is your idle speed within spec?

Up side: now that you have this and aren't showing codes, EFI generally passes. some years you have to change the oil and get a bottle of fuel system cleaner. My trips yearly consist of showing up, writing check, get pass papers, go home. about that fast.
Yeah. 45.99 at Autozone. I pulled off the Vac line and gave it a suck when at idle and nothing happened. I have not gone the DMV route yet as I am still in communications with Howell about getting the required paperwork from them. It's going to be a PITA lol and I don't know anyone else that can do it for me. I posted earlier that when I first start it it idles around 1000-1200 for 30 sec and then kicks down to 7-8 about. I set the idle around 650 but when I pull the jumper and re plug in the throttle body connection it only goes down to 7-800.
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #110
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK idle sounds normal. the 1200 rpm bit is the system calibrating itself to a cold engine at today's atmospheric pressure.

The only thing you ought to need from Howell is the CARB exempt number and the vacuum sticker. That is all they sent me. They might want to verify you have the correct cal pack in, but they can do that by unit/ECM serial number and you can claim 50 state legal. May need to fail and go the referee route. Got receipts? packing slips? go online, print a copy of the vacuum routing on school bus yellow paper, put clear tape on it and stick it over the existing sticker.

OH wait, you did fail. I'd just go the referee route. While that used to be free, I bet it costs money now. Referee looks at system, sniffs it and gives you a slip to go get registered (or not). If you fail, then you decide how they want you to fix it. Might be less than $ 50.

Last edited by piotrsko; 09-18-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Unread 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #111
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I gave them the carb number on the throttle body but something was wrong with their records and things weren't matching up dunno why. The women said she had to talk to the boss and that shed call me back but she never did. The kit was bought off craigslist a few years ago so I don't have those stickers. I told them I would give them any info they wanted and needed that I could provide too.
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #112
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, the throttle bodies that come with the California legal Howell TBI kit have a brass tag on the TB with "E.O. D-452" stamped on it. If you don't have this tag, you may have a TB and ECM off a junkyard Chevy. Junkyard ECMs not have the right PROM/cal-pack for the Jeep applications that have been approved by the State of California.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #113
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon
FWIW, the throttle bodies that come with the California legal Howell TBI kit have a brass tag on the TB with "E.O. D-452" stamped on it. If you don't have this tag, you may have a TB and ECM off a junkyard Chevy. Junkyard ECMs not have the right PROM/cal-pack for the Jeep applications that have been approved by the State of California.
I have that tag and number. Had to clean it off but that's the info I gave Howell along with the item number.
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #114
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered a new egr valve today which should be in Friday. I have school Friday and Monday so I'll probably get it smogged Tuesday afternoon.
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #115
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

did you ever pass? kinda fell off the map here.
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #116
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko
did you ever pass? kinda fell off the map here.
Ah! No. I took it Tuesday and their machine was down so I went back Thursday and it failed. Worse this time. I don't have the report as the jeep is still at the shop because I doubt I can fix it. As far as I know no codes were thrown. I checked after driving it down the 15 to rancho and back Monday night and all was well. I think it was at 700 ppm at idle. I appreciate your help.
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #117
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The mechanics just called. From what I understand, the ECM and icm control advanced with how it's set up. It also had a bad icm and was sending poor signal to the coil. Hopefully I can pick it up before school. My girlfriend is still at home sleeping. I'll give more info when I get it if I can.
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #118
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It was a faulty icm and 3x advance that was screwing it up. Now it runs really well. After 350 of course. Psh.

Tags
4.2 , failed smog

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.