Failed Smog, again. High HC at Idle. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Failed Smog, again. High HC at Idle.

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #61
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

no wonder why , cal. here in n.y after 20 years my 88 cost $21 if your horn works , and you have good tires you pass, nothing like a saffty inp . only gotta love n.y over here you can push the jeep in with no motor in it and it still passes , as long as you have brakes, blinkers stuff like that. i feel sorry for you guys over there

Last edited by jojojeep1; 08-22-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: nb lhub;kk v
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #62
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49
Just saw your edit.

You MUST find which cap terminal is now #1. If it is the same as it was before, then you did not rotate the distributor body with respect to where it was when the advance was hitting the block. You might be one, two or three terminals away from where you were, depending on where you end up with the distributor body.
So if I find tdc on #1 and keep the rotor there, I can rotate the dizzy so that cap post for number 4 or even 2 is now number one? And all should be okay?
Unread 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #63
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also I don't have any way to put a lot of load on the motor at wot. Closest actual hill is a few miles away. Lol. Thanks. That makes sense though. So what were going for right now is the best timing we can so it'll pass emissions?
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #64
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

So if I find tdc on #1 and keep the rotor there, I can rotate the dizzy so that cap post for number 4 or even 2 is now number one? And all should be okay?
I did this and it worked. I have way more movement toward the block. Ended up using the number four post as the new number one. I adjusted it easily too. Somehow everything worked lol.
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #65
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like I have a miss though. If you want to pm me your email address I can send you the video on my phone. And when using the light sometimes it doesn't light completely.
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #66
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I did this and it worked. I have way more movement toward the block. Ended up using the number four post as the new number one. I adjusted it easily too. Somehow everything worked lol.
Fantastic! You got it done before I could respond to your other question (the answer to which was YES!).
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #67
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It sounds like I have a miss though. If you want to pm me your email address I can send you the video on my phone. And when using the light sometimes it doesn't light completely.
Can you Youtube it and post the link here? That way others can chime in as well.

Sometimes a miss at idle is a bad spark plug wire. How are yours? COuld a terminal on one have become loosened as a result of all the handling?
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #68
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just reg. it in ny $21 no prob's beep beep
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #69
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49

Can you Youtube it and post the link here? That way others can chime in as well.

Sometimes a miss at idle is a bad spark plug wire. How are yours? COuld a terminal on one have become loosened as a result of all the handling?
I think so. I'll have to do it later on though. I forgot to say I ended up doing the team rush. Before you gave your input I ordered the stuff so I figured I might as well since I had it. Plugs are new champion coppers with a blaster2. I learned my lesson the other night, plug 1 wire popped off and I didn't see it and foolishly I tried to plug it into the cap with the motor on and I got shocked real bad. So now I check twice before I fire it up. With the timing retarded too much I would notice that it didn't fire but where it's set now it doesn't fire all the time.

Also, I definitely owe you a twelve pack of your favorite beverage for all your help lol
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #70
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think so. I'll have to do it later on though. I forgot to say I ended up doing the team rush. Before you gave your input I ordered the stuff so I figured I might as well since I had it. Plugs are new champion coppers with a blaster2. I learned my lesson the other night, plug 1 wire popped off and I didn't see it and foolishly I tried to plug it into the cap with the motor on and I got shocked real bad. So now I check twice before I fire it up. With the timing retarded too much I would notice that it didn't fire but where it's set now it doesn't fire all the time.

Also, I definitely owe you a twelve pack of your favorite beverage for all your help lol
So are the wires new or the old ones? I have lost track of that. New or old, sometimes when they have been handled a lot (off and on) the connection between the wire and the metal terminal end gets flaky. You don't see it because the boot covers it. That can give an intermittent spark.

Also, where is the timing now? How far have you advanced it? I would advance it to the point that the motor idles faster and faster until it starts to break up a bit, and then go back to where it idled best.

Then, test drive it. Even with no hills, you can lug the motor at low vehicle speeds to see if it pings. If it pings a tiny bit you are right on. If it pings more than that, retard it a smidge.

Remember that the rotor spins half as fast as the crankshaft. That means that a 4 degree change in timing seen at the crankshaft (vibration damper with the timing light) requires only 2 degrees of movement of the distributor. So don't get all wackadoodle in turning the distributor a huge amount as the effect at the crank is double. Slight movements, smoothly done, is the trick.

The 12 pack sounds good, but I am not that high maintenance. A couple of draft Guinness will suffice.
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #71
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

They are new wires but have been handled quite a bit. Ill do my best to check. I don't know where it is. I tried to get it to 8 like before but I understand the breaking point of advancing so I'll go that route.

And in all seriousness, pm the info you're comfortable with me having and I'll do my best to get them to you lol.
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #72
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So for curiosities sake I put the distributor from my old motor in this one and I just looked at the one that was in the motor. The distributor is welded and there is no vac advance! What does this mean?

And I have no real adjustment with the other dizzy either. It basically runs like crap no matter what. There is no advance to make it better. It's advance and it caputs. I'm really regretting this lol.

Edit the numbers in the old, welded one are 7.75R and 6.75R.
image-3150961842.jpg   image-2152802173.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #73
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it means that something electronic in the ignition computer controls the spark advance/retard. Not To Worry.

funky valve sealing could cause the miss, Got a compression check lately?
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #74
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko
it means that something electronic in the ignition computer controls the spark advance/retard. Not To Worry.

funky valve sealing could cause the miss, Got a compression check lately?
I wonder why they left the vacuum lines hooked up then. It doesn't do any good from what I can tell. I also got an erratic light from the distributor from my old motor. Which has 13/18 adjustments. And the reman one had 15.

Not on this motor. It has good compression though, when turning the motor by hand to get to tdc there is a real gnarly spot where its hard to run before the exhaust cycle. Then it goes real easy for a tiny bit and hard again.
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #75
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I put the distributor in from my old motor, I still had an erratic timing light (do i need to have the vac advance unplugged?). I really have no idea what to do. Being that the timing light was still iffy, I'm leaning toward the icm being bad. But I really have no idea if that's possible, or if that would cause a bad light. I associate the erratic light with a miss. This dang thing passed and ran pretty good in '08. Now I think I've just messed it up lol. Last night an extra ground wire started sizzling when I was trying to time the engine with the welded distributor. I have no idea why, it's never done that before.

Tags
4.2 , failed smog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.