Failed NYC emissions. again. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Failed NYC emissions. again.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
anna29marias
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Failed NYC emissions. again.

Passes upstate NY with low emmisions standard test with no problem but cannot cannot register the car now without high emissions test. Two years ago, I had a throttle body cleaning and then passed but am sick of paying multiple times every time the car fails. There's no other issues like check engine light or too huge tires etc...
any advice?

I have a 93 YJ with less than 90,000 miles.

anna29marias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
triplej1954
1981 CJ7 

Move to a location without the test.
triplej1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Depends if it just about fails or its substantial. If it almost passes I'd change the air filter then take it for a decent hard drive before you get tested - foot to the floor, then off, then foot to the floor a few times.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
KnacK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What did they fail you on? Post your numbers that you got and what are required for passing and lets see what we can do.
4.2L Auto 190k miles
3" Body Lift, Rancho Shocks, 31" Wranglers
Sagging springs
Bald tires
Blown tranny
Dead 4.2
Empty wallet
KnacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
93jeepwrangler
1993 JK Wrangler 

i have the same problem...my head gasket has a little leak init, so before i have an inspection done, i run enigine cleaner through it, let it fun for about 15 min and its fine.
93jeepwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
jeep16
1990 YJ Wrangler 

luckily the smog machine goes away in december
jeep16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

anyone else think we should have a sticky as to where emissions testing is done and to what specifics? it seems like there are a bunch of threads about it. i know here in chicago, OBD I is exempt, and OBD II only has a computer scan and you're done. just a thought...
warthog312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
anyone else think we should have a sticky as to where emissions testing is done and to what specifics? it seems like there are a bunch of threads about it. i know here in chicago, OBD I is exempt, and OBD II only has a computer scan and you're done. just a thought...
no, there are enough stickys.

to the OP. I am in NY and don't have to pass any emissions with my 91. I am even missing certain factory options from the PO's actions.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok, heres another idea, my old truck wouldnt pass emissions in its street/strip form so i registered it under my aunt's address in wisconsin and never had to deal with emissions again. just a thought.
warthog312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.