Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Failed Emissons. Now what?

874 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JeepAbuser 
#1 ·
Ok, so im in the spot of buying new tires, selling my current ones; buying a new lift; and buying a sound system. But I went to get a pre-emissions testing done for $14. Took them 20min to get it into the computer cuz the DMV enterened my VIN wrong on the regestration and refused to look second at it. Got through that and the guy was like "Its a great lookin Jeep... jsut you failed horribly."

My Wrangly is an 89 4.2l 5speed and has a 4barrel manifold (one from the quadratec catalog) and a Holley #8007 4barrel carb. I know thats a problem right there.

I failed HOC or something and CM testing. The H one was sposed to be like 8.002 and mine was 15. The CM test was suposed to be like 80max and mine was I think 245.8 something.

You can stand behind this thing and ur pants would turn black from the carbon/excess gas.

What should I do? Take it for a carb rebuild/overhaul for like $200ish and then possibly pass or maybe still fail.. or should I buy a stock manifold and a weber carb and 50% chance says Ill pass..

Just need some advice. Im not due for a couting emissions test till 11/06

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd look for someone that did a Weber conversion and buy their stock carb and find a stock manifold somewhere too. I don't know how difficult it was to convert to a 4bbl but you could just bolt up the factory stuff for inspection and then go back to the powerhouse in between. My uncle did something like that. He made a bolt-on catalytic converter for his Bronco so he could run straight duals full time except for one day out of the year. I took and Enviro-Science class about two years ago and a few students were chosen to get emissions tests. My 66' Mustang with a 4bbl carb was chosen to go. It blows smoke when you really get on it and carbon too. The guy that did the test almost crapped his pants at how much junk it was putting in the air. After my teacher saw the results she flipped out too. 4bbls are great. Later <><

#4 ·
Both Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide emissions can come from running too ruch. Do you still have the bung for the O2 sensor in your exhaust? You can get an air/fuel monitor that will go in the place of your O2 which will help you with tuning. Not sure how the emissions testing are done in your state, but if there is a provision for EGR that may help too. Do you still have a cat in your Jeep? If not, one will help, but I'd get the rich condition fixed first, otherwise it'll fowl your cat right quick.

Also, HC's can be caused by an engine miss or iffy timing, might want to take a timing light to your engine to see if either of these are the case.

#5 ·
Synthisis said:
Ok, so im in the spot of buying new tires, selling my current ones; buying a new lift; and buying a sound system. But I went to get a pre-emissions testing done for $14. Took them 20min to get it into the computer cuz the DMV enterened my VIN wrong on the regestration and refused to look second at it. Got through that and the guy was like "Its a great lookin Jeep... jsut you failed horribly."

My Wrangly is an 89 4.2l 5speed and has a 4barrel manifold (one from the quadratec catalog) and a Holley #8007 4barrel carb. I know thats a problem right there.

I failed HOC or something and CM testing. The H one was sposed to be like 8.002 and mine was 15. The CM test was suposed to be like 80max and mine was I think 245.8 something.

You can stand behind this thing and ur pants would turn black from the carbon/excess gas.

What should I do? Take it for a carb rebuild/overhaul for like $200ish and then possibly pass or maybe still fail.. or should I buy a stock manifold and a weber carb and 50% chance says Ill pass..

Just need some advice. Im not due for a couting emissions test till 11/06
My girlfriends Caravan failed MA emissions when it was time. Her emissions were almost doubled the allowable limit. I knew what the problem was but an inspection was needed before I had a chance to fix it. I dumped a bottle of dry gas in it and brought it back within a half hour of doing so. The readings were well within the allowable limit. I'm not sue how or why this is but it was suggested to me by a mechanic.

Also just FYI if your Air Impulse system is not hooked up and you have the 4.2 I6, at least in my state you'll never pass emissions without it. It adds fresh air to two different points of the exhaust system. It's a Dealer only part and around here the shorter of the two sides was 257.00!. Just a thought Dave

#8 ·
pour a few cans of that gumout carb cleaner stuff in your gas tank half full, lean your carb out big time when you get there, make sure shes really hot, pass your emissions, then reset your carb and fill your tank as soon as you leave.

even in chicago, theres now a cutoff where we dont need to test any more....I was soo happy the day i went and passed it for the last time!

#9 ·
ps..the holley is defenitely the problem...i ran one of those on an old hot rod me and my dad built, man that those things throw a ton of gas

oh yah...if your blowing black crap, dribble alittle water in your carb, rev it up, and hold your hand over the carb to choke it out..youll clean the tops your pistons off, and suck the crap out of your carb at the same time. later!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.