Failed Emissions on '88 YJ - HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Failed Emissions on '88 YJ - HELP!!!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-23-2001, 09:40 PM   #1
achilles99

Failed Emissions on '88 YJ - HELP!!!

I finally found a Jeep that I really liked (could afford). Took it in for emissions, and it failed the carbon monoxide readings. Since this indicates a rich air/fuel condition, I'm guessing that it's probably an O2 sensor problem. Can anyone shed any light/experience on this? How can one check for a failed 02 sensor? Thanks in advance...

Oh, and it's a 2.5L 4 banger... I just changed the air filter, and the plugs and wires were changed by previous owner last year...

achilles99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

About the best thing to do is to go ahead and replace it.The other exspensive way is to have the dealer run a check on the sensor.Also you may just do a basic tune up spark plugs etc.That may help but emmissions are a funny thing.How far was the co reading off.A few points or off the charts?
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:37 AM   #3
achilles99

I went ahead and changed the plugs and O2 sensor. I threw in a bottle of the carb cleaner stuff, too, just for good measure. I'm wondering if I should change the catalytic converter, too... what do you think?
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:50 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Well most muffler shops can check them for you.Some even run this check for free.Look in your local yellow pages and call around.Ask if they check cats and if there is a charge.But at least have it check before replacing it.I would like to know how far off you were on the Carbon monoxide reading.If you are only a few points than a little tune up will go long way but if you are way off then you may have some bad sensors.NOTE more than one.But before you get wrench happy have the cat checked out.If you have a copy of the readings post them for me but give me the normal rating for your area.
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:26 AM   #5
achilles99

Reading Allowable Result
HC 189 215 Pass
CO% 4.11 2.69 FAIL
NO 1133 1415 Pass
CO+CO2% 15.8 6.0 min Pass

Catalytic PASS Gass Cap PASS

Hopefully, I'll go check this setup out with the replaced O2 sensor and new plugs. The wires were just changed out last year. Next step, I guess, is the catalytic? Thanks for the input!
Unread 12-27-2001, 12:40 PM   #6
glm 87 wrangler

Well if thats all you are off than the spark plug change and o2 sensor may be all you needed.How did your spark plugs look?
Unread 12-29-2001, 05:38 PM   #7
Colby Bruce

I own a '93 YJ 2.5, manual trans, that I just bought a cat converter for. I too live in Atlanta. I spent $210.00 for the converter and another $300.00 for a tune up and intake system cleaning. I passed, but think I have a cracked exhaust manifold and may need a new muffler. My cat was empty, all the honey comb stuff was gone. I detest the metro Atlanta emissions tests.
Colby Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2001, 08:00 PM   #8
achilles99

WHOA! You paid a lot... I hope that they truly did the work. I checked the service records on my Jeep, and the plugs, distributor, rotor button, and wires were supposedly changed last August. When I changed the plugs, they were CHOCOLATE brown, and the electrode was extremely broken down. So, I changed the plugs ($8), changed the O2 sensor ($65), and of course labor was free since I don't charge myself

The catalytic converter is only $65 at the auto parts store... WHO CHARGED YOU $210!!!?? To clean the intake system was pretty easy, too.

COLBY (or anyone else in Atlanta area) - Let me know if you need help with that stuff... no need to spend so much for "easy" maintenance items. I bought a Haynes manual, and it's pretty good about most of the stuff...

I'm going to burn through a tank of gas to let the carb cleaner stuff do it's thing, and then I'll let the board know how it affected my readings. Thanks for the advice...
Unread 12-30-2001, 09:37 AM   #9
Colby Bruce

Nash Jeep-Eagle in Lawrenceville did the tune up and intake cleaning. Yes, I realized later I might could have saved some money. The cat converter was done at a Norcross muffler shop. I work for the post office and could not take the time off to fool with it myself.
Colby Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.