failed echeck today high NOx - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > failed echeck today high NOx

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fixing the CCV (Closed Crankcase Ventilation) system may help. The back hose on the valve cover goes to a port on the intake. The front is a fresh air inlet going to the air box.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

could someone post a pic of what the vac lines off the rear of the valve cover on the 4.0 is supposed to look like? thanks.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here's what I have:

Unread 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #19
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82gt View Post
I was able to induce a small vacuum leak, but finally replaced the cat and have been groovy ever since
That makes no sense as once the engine warms up and enters closed loop operation, the ECU will richen the mixture to compensate for the vacuum leak and maintain the stoichiometric ratio.

BTW, OP: running injector cleaner is meaningless.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I passed my echeck in CLE after running seafoam through the throttle body, then the rest in the gas tank. ran it around for ~50 miles, then took it
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Run a can of seafoam (1/2 in the gas tank, 1/2 through a vacuum hose) change the plugs/wires/ cap/ rotor then go back it'll clean it up it works like a charm on my 89 with carter carb all the time
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #22
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the tips, going to do plugs an wires, cap this weekend. plugs look ugly an the one I pulled had a .053 gap!
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by langwilliams
thanks for the tips, going to do plugs an wires, cap this weekend. plugs look ugly an the one I pulled had a .053 gap!
.035 is spec unless you have done a Tfi or hei ignition then .045
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put two cans of dry gas into a full tank of gas.......This has worked for me a number of times..............
Unread 03-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Start with the basics, tune the sucker up. New plugs, cap, rotor, wires, clean your throttle body out, new air filter, change your oil/filter, and make sure it's running at operating temp.

Seafoam will clean out your injectors but not the throttle body, the throttle body is before the injectors. Fit a new fuel filter too.

High octane gas will actually make it run worse, unless it's already in piss poor shape. The higher octane fuel won't burn as efficiently in a low PSI engine like the 4.0 and will probably increase your emissions slightly. Use the lowest octane possible.

If all of that fails, you may be looking at a new cat indeed..

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #26
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Get the engine to operating temp. and introduce water into the brake booster line. This will vaporize and clean the combustion chamber most any carbon build up. Carbon build up will cause Nox levels to increase. Free and easy. But yeah, you will most likely need a cat at some point.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if anyone is wondering, i got it to pass. NOx standard is under 1047, i was at 1106. Ran some fuel injector/sea foam thru the tank. changed the plugs an wires. did the sea foam in the intake an let it sit a while. drove it hard an it smoked like a steam engine. went an got 4 gal of shell premium an put a bottle of heet in it. drove it some took it to the check station an it was 841. The tech said that is in standard but still a little high. I fig it'll need a cat for the next test, but who knows!

thanks for the tips
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #28
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by langwilliams
if anyone is wondering, i got it to pass. NOx standard is under 1047, i was at 1106. Ran some fuel injector/sea foam thru the tank. changed the plugs an wires. did the sea foam in the intake an let it sit a while. drove it hard an it smoked like a steam engine. went an got 4 gal of shell premium an put a bottle of heet in it. drove it some took it to the check station an it was 841. The tech said that is in standard but still a little high. I fig it'll need a cat for the next test, but who knows! thanks for the tips
The premium fuel and heet probably made it run a little high premium fuel burns slower so it does not run as clean as regular in our old workhorse engines.
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #29
Jeep43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here in CA the max nox @ 15mph is 365. I failed at 659. After I changed my cat, plugs, and all filters I passed with a 1. The regulations are getting real strict every few years.
Jeep43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #30
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I lived in San Diego for a year while in the navy, I kept my truck registered an insured in Fla! Ohio isn't tightening standards that I know of, in fact on 5 or 7 counties still have to get checked an cars over 25 years old no longer require a check

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.