Factory Ride Height. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Ride Height.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
BIM9Bill
2012 JK Wrangler 

Factory Ride Height.

Hello, Third time poster.... long time Jeeper.

I have a 1994 Wrangler with 235/75r15 tires on it. It seems to he sitting low.

I am not interested in lifting it, as I would like to keep it stock for my daughter who will be driving it soon as her first car.

I have attached photos of the jeep for your review.

My plan is to replace the springs, if needed. Rubber bushings and shocks.

Please let me know your thoughts.

img_1662.jpg   img_1663.jpg   img_1664.jpg   img_1665.jpg   img_1666.jpg  

BIM9Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Should be 18" at the rocker panel.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you're concerned with safety, ditch those over sized lift shackles. That is one reason your stock springs are flat. Stock YJ springs are almost flat anyway, but longer shackles make it worse. It will also improve steering.
I would invest in a quality set of new springs (not stock), perhaps 2", with a soft spring rate for a better ride than stock. A good set of 4" (stock height) shackles. A 2" spring minus what appears to be 1" lift or more shackles and you're still in a safe almost stock height range with a better riding Jeep. Your daughter and her butt will thank you.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
If you're concerned with safety, ditch those over sized lift shackles. That is one reason your stock springs are flat. Stock YJ springs are almost flat anyway, but longer shackles make it worse. It will also improve steering.
I would invest in a quality set of new springs (not stock), perhaps 2", with a soft spring rate for a better ride than stock. A good set of 4" (stock height) shackles. A 2" spring minus what appears to be 1" lift or more shackles and you're still in a safe almost stock height range with a better riding Jeep. Your daughter and her butt will thank you.

WRM
those shackles look stock to me
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

WRM
x2. Do a 2" lift and ditch the track bars. It'll ride and handle better. Stay with stock shackles.
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
BIM9Bill
2012 JK Wrangler 

So, I am thinking about using the Old Man Emu 2" springs. Looks at old photos on the internet of stock looking jeeps I am thinking the shackles are indeed stock.

Any one have experance with Old Man Emu yellow bushing key, are they as stiff as the normal red poly stuff? Or should I stick with the stock rubber bushings?

I will not be doing extreme 4x4 with this jeep, just on-road and nice and slow trail stuff.
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

old man emu springs ride great, pretty sure you have to run their bushings in the springs because of the eye size.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
old man emu springs ride great, pretty sure you have to run their bushings in the springs because of the eye size.
MORE is now carrying bushings that will fit the OME springs
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Lu...nt_or_Rear.htm
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 06-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did'nt enlarge the pic... shackles looked long in the one side view. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did'nt enlarge the pic... shackles looked long in the one side view. Oh well.
your eyes must be getting as old/bad as mine...I enlarge, and use magnify at times
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIM9Bill View Post
So, I am thinking about using the Old Man Emu 2" springs. Looks at old photos on the internet of stock looking jeeps I am thinking the shackles are indeed stock.

Any one have experance with Old Man Emu yellow bushing key, are they as stiff as the normal red poly stuff? Or should I stick with the stock rubber bushings?

I will not be doing extreme 4x4 with this jeep, just on-road and nice and slow trail stuff.
I think the Old Man Emu 2" springs are the ticket. Get the kit and replace it all in one swoop. I'm positive you'll be pleased with the results of the ride. I don't have first hand experience but I've only heard good things from those who do run OME lifts.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you want more clearance without lift, install some TJ flares. Takes a little cutting to the 1/4 panels, no big deal.

You might want to adjust the steering stops to stop the spring/tire rub at full turn.(even with 235s)
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
those shackles look stock to me
They look just like the stock ones on my 89 YJ.
It's always hard to tell from a picture but it should be 4" between the centers of the bolts.
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running my OME lift for two years now and love it! The difference in ride quality is night and day and it is a very competent setup if you do find yourself offroad at some point. Take a look at my pics and you can see what it looks like on 31s and on 33s.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
BIM9Bill
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dtn8tr, on your "OME install finished minutes earlier!' photo is that with the 2" lift kit, or is that a 4"

This is the kit I am thinking of?
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/arb/old...rangler-yj.htm
Will I need the transfer case lowering if I just do the 2"

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.