Factory Gear Ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Gear Ratio

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 03-04-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
JeepN87

Factory Gear Ratio

does anyone know the factory gear ratio for a 5 speed 87 YJ 4.2L? Also, if i were to run 33x12.5s, would i need to re-gear? thanks

Unread 03-04-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
rodgersmc

I'm thinking thats 3.83 ratio, and you wouldn't *need* a regear with 33's... I have same on 32's and don't mind. High end isn't great, but I can do 70-75 without too much problem unless I'm driving into strong wind.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt you to get 4.10's down the line.
32" tires on 15X10's
winch
soon to be JKB2 mod
rodgersmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 09:00 AM   #3
JeepN87

thanks for your help. however, now I'm reading this chart that recommends at least 4.10 for all-terrain performance with 33s. I'm not really worried about going over 75 mph, just making sure i'll still have the use of all 5 gears. Would I still have use of my 5th gear? i'm also on a budget, and how much does it cost to regear? thanks
Unread 03-05-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
jeepsonly

If you don't regear, you may not be able to go over 55. On our 94 YJ, we had 33x12.50's with the stock gears and every time we'd go on an overpass it would slow down. Poor little 2.5l - we really pushed it. Even with the 4.2l though, I think you'd have serious power problems on the highway.

BTW, on the 93 YJ, stock is 3.07 but I'm not sure about an 89.
jeepsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
JeepN87

thanks , i think i might have to go with a re-gear. however, i'm not too familiar with all that is involved with re-gearing. any suggestions on what gears i should switch to for what will mostly be a daily driver butalso have some off-road use? How much will it cost and what do i need to do? Thanks guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.