Fabtech 3.5" Springs Install Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fabtech 3.5" Springs Install Question

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fabtech 3.5" Springs Install Question

First, if you are looking for 3.5" springs, Amazon has these Fabtech leafs for just under $60 each. This is a great deal as far as I could find!

I have the rear put back together, springs installed, degree shims turned the correct direction (they are preinstalled on these when you buy them) and everything tightened up.

I took measurements in several places around the Jeep from the ground to have a reference point to where I ended up, and to be able to measure any sag over time.

When I put the tires back on and took it off the jackstands, the new measurement is exactly 6" taller than where I started!! I climbed in the back and jumped up and down, and the shackles seem to be moving freely. I haven't finished the front yet, I should have it done tonight or tomorrow.

So my question is, do the springs break in after a little use? Do they settle out to the 3.5"?

1992 YJ, 4.0L with 1" MML and stock drive train with AX15 and 4.10 gears, 3.5" Fabtech leaf springs, 1" BL, 31" Buckshot XMTs, Softtopper, Ford Ranger Bench seat, Metal Cloak Overlines and Genright rear flares, 1" M.O.R.E. Body lift, Lots of stuff in the works!
Supertrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How loose are the shackles? If you tightened them too much while it was jacked up it wont sag to the right hight when you put it down
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have locknuts, and used the suggestion of tightening until the bushing begins to squeeze. I will loosen them then retorque them tonight and see if that works.

I found torque specs for lock nuts to be 40 ft/lbs at the shackle end and 50 at the frame end. Is this correct?
1992 YJ, 4.0L with 1" MML and stock drive train with AX15 and 4.10 gears, 3.5" Fabtech leaf springs, 1" BL, 31" Buckshot XMTs, Softtopper, Ford Ranger Bench seat, Metal Cloak Overlines and Genright rear flares, 1" M.O.R.E. Body lift, Lots of stuff in the works!
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a set of springs for mine of amazon. The lift kit runs over $800, $60 a spring is not bad at all. Thanks for the heads up I will let you know how mine sits when I get them on.
Homebrewed2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up with about 5.5" of lift at first with the same springs. After almost a year, they might have settled down to about 4.5" now. I like the , did the same thing on amazon, put the whole lift together for like $400.
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewed2 View Post
I just ordered a set of springs for mine of amazon. The lift kit runs over $800, $60 a spring is not bad at all. Thanks for the heads up I will let you know how mine sits when I get them on.
Great, thanks.

I did loosen and retorque the shackles, that seemed to free up the suspension movement alot. But it didn't settle out any.

I guess we bought 3.5" springs and got an additional 2" for free! That makes it an even sweeter deal!

Now I need bigger tires.........
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's mine with 33's... This is without the hard top, which doesn't seem to drop it down any further.

Unread 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am running 31s, and I have the back finished and on the ground. They are looking a little small for this much lift!
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my jeep with the fabtech 3.5 springs! I am running 5/8 shackles to clear the military wraps, I also have 1.25 bl to tho! After wheeling a bunch and throwing a ford 8.8 out back I have sagged bit! I am running 33's! The last pic was the jeep with out the bl!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-616681181.jpg   image-573043570.jpg   image-2552366404.jpg   image-1606028973.jpg  
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Here is my jeep with the fabtech 3.5 springs! I am running 5/8 shackles to clear the military wraps, I also have 1.25 bl to tho! After wheeling a bunch and throwing a ford 8.8 out back I have sagged bit! I am running 33's! The last pic was the jeep with out the bl!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Thanks for the pics! And I just saw your reply to the PM!!
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the heads up thats a good price on the springs (free shipping too). ordered 4 for my yj
snag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag View Post
thanks for the heads up thats a good price on the springs (free shipping too). ordered 4 for my yj
Awesome! Everything I read says they are great springs.

I should be finishing my install up this weekend. I will report back to what the height is after driving it around some.
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So it looks like I'm sitting about 4.5" taller than before the lift springs. It helped a lot when I set the jeep on all 4 wheels instead of having the back on the ground and the front on jack stands.

I got a pm about the bushings, thought I would post what I had to do. The Fabtech springs use the 1.5" od bushing on the shackle end, same as the main eye end. The steel sleeve that goes in the middle of the bushing has the same od on both ends, but a smaller id on the shackle end. I just put on new polyurethane bushings at both ends of my stock springs a few months ago, so I only needed the shackle ends. I found a good price at WFO Concepts. I didn't need a set since I already had the sleeves and the main eye bushings. Here is the link: http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/YJ-Lar...4-ID/3190/3484
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had some pretty severe driveline vibrations once the springs were installed. I have a 1" mml already, so I tried the transfer case drop. Still had the vibes. Also, as you guessed, the transfer case end of the driveshaft had a significantly less amount of engagement in the slip yoke.

I decided I needed to go ahead and do and SYE and CV driveshaft, so, after some research both here and at google, 2 names surfaced, Tattons and Adams Driveshaft. Both offered kits that included the SYE and the driveshaft. I bought the Adams kit from their BallisticJeep.com website (http://www.ballisticjeep.com/buy_online). It will be here tomorrow. Once I install, I will post an update.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just sold the springs I had. They rode like crap and flexed even worse. Yes, all the torques were correct but I just didn't have a good experience. zte87 has had good luck with them though.
[COLOR="Green"]You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you are going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray to God they get there in time.
~unknown[/COLOR]
attentionwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.