Fabbing TB Spacer, How Much Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fabbing TB Spacer, How Much Lift?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fabbing TB Spacer, How Much Lift?

Thought I would mess around and add a TB Spacer to my 4.0 TB upgrade for my 92 / 2.5L. I 'm
going to use my 2.5L TB for a template but wanted everyon's suggestions on the amount of lift/
height. Is more better or is there a specific height for better performance?

I know, I Know. I could just go out and buy one but there is no challenge in that. I like to fab
and build my YJ. It's a hobby and what I enjoy.

Thanks for your feedback,

John

Unread 08-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think the avg height is 1" I'd make it the same dia as the 4.0 tb though.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The bore will be the same as the 4.0L but I using the 2.5L TB as a template for the mounting
bolt holes. I have already bored out my intake to match the larger diameter and the spacer
will also match.

Just wondering if larger than 1" would also show an improvement?
Unread 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I learned the hard way that tb spacers dont do jack. Most posts I have seen on the subject agree with mine. for TB spacers
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

^^^^ is correct!
the only time I have ever seen those spacers work is when the engine they are on has a "wet" intake.
"wet" intake means that the intake has fuel flowing through it. like with a carb, or TBI, where the fuel and air mix at the top of the intake manifold. with a wet intake, the spacer gives the fuel and air more time to mix.

most newer engines have a "dry" intake, meaning that there is only air flowing through the intake manifold. the fuel is injected basically right at the intake valve. with the dry intake, all the spacer will do is slightly increase the volume of the intake, and will do nothing at all to help the fuel and air mix. HOWEVER, you MIGHT notice a very slight increase in throttle responce(from the increased intake volume). in most coases though, the increase in throttle responce is so minimal that it's really not worth the effort of putting on a spacer.
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Look, I'm not doing this to gain MEGA HP but wanted to boast any gains I could get out of my little 2.5L. I know it's limitations and I' wasn't expecting much. I'll take a faster throttle response for the amount of money I'm spending on this upgrade ** $0.00 ** I also thought the upgrade had a better mixture and a cooling effect which pulls some very minor gains. I wouldn't spend the $65.00 to $85.00 bucks on a new one but to fab it for no cost?????

Hmmmmmm !
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzjeepyj View Post
Look, I'm not doing this to gain MEGA HP but wanted to boast any gains I could get out of my little 2.5L. I know it's limitations and I' wasn't expecting much. I'll take a faster throttle response for the amount of money I'm spending on this upgrade ** $0.00 ** I also thought the upgrade had a better mixture and a cooling effect which pulls some very minor gains. I wouldn't spend the $65.00 to $85.00 bucks on a new one but to fab it for no cost?????

Hmmmmmm !
I'd say lift it an inch, hell, even lift it two inch's, but you will see very little, if any, gains in power.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
dan_yoyo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just don't forget when you install a TB spacer you also need to lift the cable bracket the to same amount.

And I agree, don't expect to see nice gains but I think the better throttle response is worth the time.

Dan
dan_yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

personally i wouldn't waste my time with tb spacers. I used to run the dyno and the R&D department for an intake company. the TB spacer is nothing more than a way to get people to spend money on a chunk of crap metal. at no point did we ever see any gains on the dyno, and we tested several different companies, we tested other companies because we were going to make them but seeing as how they did nothing, we felt it was wrong to make worthless things and sell them to some poor guy that want to shave .0000000001 second off his 1/4 mile

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The ones I've seen have a "thread" or helical cut done on the inside to make the air fuel mixture better. All I've ever heard though is it makes an annoying whistling sound. If you want better performance just stick to your future mods and re-gear to 4.88's. I'm not trying to discourage you in what you're doing but I just don't think TB spacers do anything, but if you're making it yourself at no cost, go for it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.