EZ-Locker Install issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > EZ-Locker Install issue

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
CaymanYJ

EZ-Locker Install issue

Hi Guys, I have just installed an EZ-Locker and I have screwwed something up. The drivers side front tire is locked and will not spin at all. Any ideas on what I may have screwed up ?

CaymanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanYJ View Post
Hi Guys, I have just installed an EZ-Locker and I have screwwed something up. The drivers side front tire is locked and will not spin at all. Any ideas on what I may have screwed up ?
Locked up as in not turning at all? If yes, pull tire, and brakes on that side to see if that solves the problem.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
CaymanYJ

Yep locked up as in not turning at all. Will try pulling the tire and brakes and see if that helps. Any other ideas ?
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanYJ View Post
Yep locked up as in not turning at all. Will try pulling the tire and brakes and see if that helps. Any other ideas ?
If the passenger side turns, but the driverside doesn't, the brake/wheel area of the driverside is first place to look for trouble. You have confirmed that passenger side wheel turns? Any clicking sound heard? Is the TC is in 2wd?

If there isn't a problem found at the driverside wheel, you will need to back track your install into the diff. Normally, if you are going to have a problem with a lunchbox locker install, it is locker stays engaged, or locker never engages..........so I am a little more than confused about what else could have gone wrong with your install. Did you follow one of the popular write ups, or just use directions provided with locker?
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can you turn the driveshaft by hand at all? I think you should take the diff cover off and get a buddy to try to turn the driveshaft and/or the wheel and see what it does. If your pass. side turns that means the locker is disengaging and not turning the carrier and the pinion. Have you tried unbolting the driveshaft and spinning it?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Can you turn the driveshaft by hand at all? I think you should take the diff cover off and get a buddy to try to turn the driveshaft and/or the wheel and see what it does. If your pass. side turns that means the locker is disengaging and not turning the carrier and the pinion. Have you tried unbolting the driveshaft and spinning it?
**IF** the passengerside turns while the driverside is locked/held from turning, and **IF** there is a clicking sound, it would mean the locker is working as designed and the problem is with the driverside wheel only. No need to pull diff cover. No need to waste gear oil, no need to mess with driveshaft. Pulling that front tire and brake is first step assuming all of the above is happening.
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

is the drive shaft on, and the TC in 4x4 (or N)? if it is, the locker will lock the drivers axle to the TC output (and engine/rear axle)
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
**IF** the passengerside turns while the driverside is locked/held from turning, and **IF** there is a clicking sound, it would mean the locker is working as designed and the problem is with the driverside wheel only. No need to pull diff cover. No need to waste gear oil, no need to mess with driveshaft. Pulling that front tire and brake is first step assuming all of the above is happening.
$8 for a gallon of gear oil
$3 for a tube of RTV
Total= $11 and some time.

$140 for new gear set
$150 for install
$8 for a gallon of gear oil (break-in change)
$3 for a tube of RTV
Total=$301

To the OP, it's your jeep, do what you feel is necessary. If it were me, a little gear oil, RTV, and time aren't much compared to buying a new locker and/or gears. I installed my own and I don't think I'd ever do it again. Just my 2 cents.

Also, make sure your jeep is running (vacuum operated) and in 4wd when you spin the front pass. side tire because YJ front axles have the disconnect. So if your front axle isn't locked the pass. side will spin all the time.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
$8 for a gallon of gear oil
$3 for a tube of RTV
Total= $11 and some time.

$140 for new gear set
$150 for install
$8 for a gallon of gear oil (break-in change)
$3 for a tube of RTV
Total=$301

To the OP, it's your jeep, do what you feel is necessary. If it were me, a little gear oil, RTV, and time aren't much compared to buying a new locker and/or gears. I installed my own and I don't think I'd ever do it again. Just my 2 cents.

Also, make sure your jeep is running (vacuum operated) and in 4wd when you spin the front pass. side tire because YJ front axles have the disconnect. So if your front axle isn't locked the pass. side will spin all the time.

I'm not saying that he might not end up pulling the diff cover. But he would feel pretty silly pulling the diff cover only to find out that he has a brake caliper or rotor issue. **IF** I understand the situation correctly, the front driverside tire/wheel is locked. It isn't moving, neither is the Jeep so the OP isn't going to damage anything by driving this Jeep because it won't drive(grin). At this point, all we have is a lot of lacking information........ At this time we almost have a BS post like "my Jeep makes a noise"....When the OP performs a couple simple test, and confirms a couple things, we will all have a better idea (hopefully) of where the problem maybe.
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
CaymanYJ

Thanks for all the ideas boys. I didn't get a chance to take a look at the Jeep yesterday so hopefully today after work I will have time to get into it and relay more information or hopefully give you the answer to what was wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.