EXTREME NOVICE: 1 Ton YJAxle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > EXTREME NOVICE: 1 Ton YJAxle swap

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

EXTREME NOVICE: 1 Ton YJAxle swap

Ok,

Ladies and Gents, Boys and Girls, Pimps and Hoes...
ATTENTION: Anyone who would never attempt, and or doesn't like reading about cool ****... please leave.

How many of you ppl have a heavy right foot on the skinny pedal? How many of you want to have a heavy foot, but you can't because you need to drive back home and a scared your gonna break your junk? How many of you out there are sick of breaking axles? Because your stupid D35 is just a piece of scrap waiting for the pile, and you can't justify putting any money into cause it's weak. Especially, lockers. You put in lockers you might as well strap in a set of extra shafts to take along.
Here and now looks like a good place to start a information filled thread about swapping out axles in a yj... and not worrying about anyone else. How many of you out there are interested in putting some stronger legs under you junk? Everyone of course. How many of you know how to do it? How many of you have been reading about it and think you have a general idea.... but can't just jump in because you don't know 'exactly' what to get to make it happen under your rig, and don't want to waste money on the wrong axles or the wrong parts because you REALLY don't know the information you need to have???
Well I'm here to inform you... that you and I are in the same damn boat! SOOoooo.... With your help, you and I are gonna get a bunch of information out of these other guys... that have already done it... or are in due process of doing it. And were gonna get them to help us, get the right information so we can't do it... and do it right... so WE ...yes WE can finally run the 'Big Dog' trails with everyone else!

Guys, what were not looking for is .. "Aw, jis taws a D-sisty aNNa SEE-fortene in air, an-U kin hit da mudHO wit me and Bubby dis weakin."

No, seriously... We need some information. On what types of trucks, and actually what axles are the best ...and/or easiest to swap to full width.
Especially trucks that we can get the front and the rear out of .. because I'm sure a lot of people know where there is an old truck.

I guess the real question is... What trucks have the best axles to use for a swap front and rear. Or is it better to mix and match. Is it better you have fronts with 'knuckles'? Which have the most aftermarket support?

Please specify Make, Model, Years, Driver or passenger diff (for fronts), drum or discs? Please include pics, and Identifying properties. (Like pumkin shape, or bolt number or pattern) And if at all possible make it easy to understand for all of us 'Ra-tards'.

When this thread gets going, I'm going to compile a list for everyone.
Thanks

Last edited by hookedupinc; 03-29-2010 at 08:21 PM..
hookedupinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, what I am gonna attempt to do, With your help is. The full 1 ton swap, with FULL right-up. with all the info I gather. In turn I hope that I learn a lot, and help a bunch of others learn right long with me. I plan on taking it one step at a time, and maybe others would like to do it at the same time and also share their information about do's and don't as we go along.
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
YJ Ynot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

78' 79' Ford f350 Dana 60s are a direct bolt in..

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...
YJ Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that's front or rear?
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
YJ Ynot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedupinc View Post
that's front or rear?
Both front and rear are 60s

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...
YJ Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Ynot View Post
Both front and rear are 60s
NICE! What a great friggin way to start out a thread!
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How direct? What if anything needs to be changed,swapped,re-welded,cut-off?
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Man, you know what we need? a dang http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...-swap-1001773/ chat room!!! Then we can really talk about some stuff!
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You got any specs on those? like axle width or anything? and how they would compare to the D30 and D35's we have now?
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

or any kind of gear ratio's offered in those trucks in those years?
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dare I say it, but if you want to compile a list of 1 ton axle info, there is a TON of info on it, with various axles over on pirate4x4.com. Some of the guys here cross post over there aswell. There are a bunch of write ups to get info from, and just about every aspect of the 1 ton swap has been covered over there. Heck, there are more and more guys over there ditching the 1tons for Rockwells.

Not trying to take anything from this thread, but rather offering up a ton of info to sift through if you want to try and organize it in an easy to read and understand format.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
Jess10

Ill throw something new out there you could run a toyota axle you can run a doubler setup for passenger side to fix the passenger diff or you could wait till the new trail gear drivers drop housing comes out with a set of longs I bet 90% of the guys breaking stock axles would be set.

I know the 1 ton swap and d44 swap is popular but it doesnt always work for instance here were I am Its tight slippery trails were wheel speed is needed and a 60 just isn't feasible for me so this is another option that seems would work for a lot of guys
Jess10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think those are high pinion to, aren't they? What about 'kingpin'? I'm not sure what that means... but i think I read that somewhere...

What is the difference between kingpin and not? And what are the benefits of kingpin style or not?
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
tipovermobile
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1 tons are only good for 40" and up tires imo
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
stevehoj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

One way to go for rear axle housing;
DANA 60 REAR AXLE HOUSING SEMI FLOATING JEEP NARROWED : eBay Motors (item 360164830705 end time Apr-18-10 16:30:07 PDT)

I went with a version from Full Circle; 35 spline, 4:88s and Lock-rite. They list on ebay every so often.
Full Circle Performance and Off Road

I put on the 10.7" diameter disc brake kit from ebay seller "drdiff". The gent is very well versed in all Dana axles.

Overal, pretty cheap for all new stuff and near bulletproof.

PS: I can get all part niumbers for anyone really interested.
08 Tundra CrewMax TRD 5.7, 07 Jeep GC-SRT8, 01 Lightning (sold), 96 Impala SS (sold), 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold), 90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060), 71 Formula 400 (sold), 72 Formula 350 (sold), 71 Firebird 350 (sold), 69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)
stevehoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.