External to internal Slave swap, can it be done??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > External to internal Slave swap, can it be done???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

External to internal Slave swap, can it be done???

Just as it says, can you swap the parts off of a 93 internal AX-15(YJ) to a 94 external AX-15(XJ) and use the 93 clutch and bell housing and have everything work??????

I am selling my 94 trans and someone asked if it was possible to swap back to internal slave.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Absolutely. It is all bolt and go.

Your 94 trans has a long snout front bearing retainer. You would need to swap to the flat-faced front bearing retainer that would go with the internal slave. You would need to use the internal slave version bellhousing as you mentioned. I would suggest putting a new seal in the input bearing retainer while it is apart. Offer to save them some time by taking off and saving your long snout input bearing retainer--that way you can sell it to someone else like me for the next time I do an internal to external conversion.

Of course, I'm not going to ask why they wouldn't want to take this opportunity to convert to external slave.

Edit--since your AX15 is from an XJ, the clocking would be different for the tranny to transfer case holes in the back of the output housing of the transmission. This can be remedied by re-drilling the mount holes in the 94 to match those of the 93.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 12-02-2009 at 05:43 AM..
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.