External to Internal Slave - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > External to Internal Slave

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

External to Internal Slave

So my question is this, when converting what do I have to do?

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wait, let me get this right.

You want to go FROM an external slave TO an internal slave?
Sorry, but why do you want to do this?
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

my ax5 is sh*t... syncro's in all 5 are done, my buddy just offered me his AX5 but it is internal.... I know nothing about the benefits of either, so if someone can explain that would be great.

otherwise if its wrong to go to internal or worse... then i will just keep grinding them since its a trail rig

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just take your bellhousing off and put it on the trans. Then you can use all your parts so it's external. All you want is the trans. Sure don't want an internal.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, that makes more sense
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wrangler4life View Post
my ax5 is sh*t... syncro's in all 5 are done, my buddy just offered me his AX5 but it is internal.... I know nothing about the benefits of either, so if someone can explain that would be great.

otherwise if its wrong to go to internal or worse... then i will just keep grinding them since its a trail rig
The problem with the internal is you have to take out the transmission to change it. The external you can change in your driveway in 20 minutes.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wrangler4life View Post

Take the bellhousing & front bearing retainer off of your external slave unit, install them on the internal slave. Swap transmissions.

You now have a newer transmission that doesn't grind, without having to swap to the inferior (and stupid) internal/concentric slave cylinder setup. It was a dumb idea when Mazda did it, it stayed a dumb idea when Ford did it, and the story does not improve with telling.

There's much greater difficulty in getting the concentric slave to seal than the conventional slave, and to replace the slave you must remove the transmission!

Since it's going to be relatively easy for you to change over the transmission to accept the current hydraulics, and you'll have both units in front of you, there's no reason to not do it.

Simply swap the bellhousing & associated parts over to the replacement box. With both of them on the bench in front of you, it's easy - just remove the parts that are different on the box you've taken out and put them on the replacement.

It's also much cheaper than having to swap hydraulics anyhow - which is what you'd be looking at.
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To explain it to you why you don't want an internal. Because the slave on an internal is inside the bell houseing,and when it goes bad,as they often do, you have to pull the trans to replace it. On yours is right on the out side. Take the trans and swap it for yours, but just the trans.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Fenix85182

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you look at the new tranny and the old tranny side-by-side to see that everything matches. When I swapped to a newer AX15 from an old one to swap from internal to an external slave, I found out the external slave had a smaller pilot than the internal. There might be a trip to make some custom parts at the machine shop, but it would be worth it.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.