Exterior Paddle Handles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exterior Paddle Handles

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
BigLou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Exterior Paddle Handles

Hey everyone,

I have searching for a while on this forum about how to attach the outside door handles for full doors. I've read a number of threads and still cant figure out how to get them on their securely. Any kind of simple explanation will definitely help

The picture I've attached is one of the clips. If anyone can use this to explain the process would be extremely helpful.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: just another picture for reference.

BigLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Do you have the shims that go in those clips? They look like a miniature hand saw blade. If these are the full (edit: I see they are) doors, its best to do it with the glass out. Use a piece of rod and a hammer, and tap the shims into place. If you need more info let me know, I don't remember how to do it on half doors though.

Brandon
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
BigLou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are the shims included with the handle? or are they supposed to be with the door?

This is what i got with the handle:

Unread 10-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

They should have been with the door. I'm sure you could cut a piece of metal to replace the shim.

Brandon
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
BigLou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What's the shims purpose? do you happen to have a diagram or anything showing what the shim does or how it goes in?

Thanks a lot
Unread 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
BigLou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did a little looking around online, found these which im guessing are the shims that I need? Place that is selling them says they are for a '81-'89 CJ. Can I use them on my YJ?

Unread 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Classicboss1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou View Post
Did a little looking around online, found these which im guessing are the shims that I need? Place that is selling them says they are for a '81-'89 CJ. Can I use them on my YJ?

Yep, those are the shims, you should be able to order them through you auto parts stores, autozone... advanced autos and so fourth. good luck, they are a pain to get in there but doable.
Classicboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
BigLou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome! thanks a lot!
Unread 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
BigLou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bump!

got the shims and now I'm trying to figure out how they go in. Which way are the teeth supposed to face?
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You should see the where the shim/wedge slides in on each side of the handle and you should also see a small spring on each side - these small springs are there to "click down" in the notches of the wedge to keep it from sliding back.

Here's a picture from a manual showing most of the components - this wedge is called a "Door Handle Keeper" in the picture:

Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed that the shims on the parts diagram seem to be inserted upwards. On my doors, they were inserted from the top. From the top sucks. Any comments or experiences of others? I can not paste the parts diagram page here to show others, but the shims are pointing upwards.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.