Extending The Wheelbase on a YJ - How To - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Extending The Wheelbase on a YJ - How To

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Extending The Wheelbase on a YJ - How To

As I continue to work on the buildup of my new axles the thought of extending my wheelbase keeps becoming more and more intriguing....

I've searched quite a bit on different forums and found a little bit of information here and there specifying different springs and the amount of wheelbase you/I would gain using them, but i can't seem to find a FAQ for extending wheelbase or a thread containing EVERYTHING pertinent to the concept so I thought this might be a good way to gather a pelthora of info that will help me now, and everyone else as they need it....

The most common method I've come accross is using wagoneer springs but i'm unsure of how the 2" of stertched wheelbase are achieved... using both front and rear springs? oem? or just front?

f150 leafs (not sure of year, oem, lift springs, etc) will locate from the front axle forward about 2" and allow for use of the OEM steering (for the most part). i've rear rumors that F150 rear springs will give another 2" of wheelbase as well.

dodge dakota springs (again, unsure of year, oem, or aftermarket) will pusht he front axle forward about 1"

so add to this list, correct my list where i have mistakes, and give any additional insight you may have about this subject.

when i install the full widths the front spring perches will need to be moved outward an inch or so, i forget, but will the leaf springs that "extend" wheelbase require the front perch to be moved forward as well? or retain the same position as oem placement?

20 questions and growing...

-Erik <--- will continue to search

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you use different springs to move the rear axle back, what would happen with the wheel well?
I have seen where bodies and frames were cut in half, then "I" beams were used to lengthen the frame and sheet metal used to lengthen the body. Sounds like a lot of work to me.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You should be able to find all the info you need on pirate4x4.com...just search, if you ask you'll get flamed because the knowledge is as common as rain in Seattle over there. Basically, the spring center pins are located differently from the stock YJ springs, and that's how the axle ends up being relocated/wheelbase stretched. Concerns will be how to go about accomodating the extra spring length since all of the ones commonly used are longer springs than YJ's, steering clearance, body clearance (sawz-all all the way up to the more extreme comp cut for mega stretches), gas tank clearance, driveshaft length and angle changes, etc.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs91
If you use different springs to move the rear axle back, what would happen with the wheel well?

Mild case, sawz-all and some TJ flares. Extreme case, comp cut.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i plan to comp cut the rear or get poison spyder rear pieces to replace the factory sheetmetal (or use as a template for cutting and isntall over factory sheetmetal)

that will eliminate the problem of the body being in the way of the tire.

in the front the only thing that woudl be in the way would be the bumper... which wouldn't be an issue if only moving the front axle forward a couple inches (for me at least).

don't really plan on moving the axle back so far that the frame will need to be extended but that could change... after seeing other people's setups it doesn't really seem too awful difficult to do... i'm just having difficulty finding springs that will allow me to keep the same height as my current 3.5" superlift springs AND allow me to relocate the axles to increase wheelbase. I'm really only looking for a total of 4-6" from the front and back, but that may very well change more or less depending how in-depth it gets....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 08-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
You should be able to find all the info you need on pirate4x4.com...just search, if you ask you'll get flamed because the knowledge is as common as rain in Seattle over there.
the search feature has been removed from pirate since the last time i used it (quite a while ago).

i heard you can use google or yahoo and use a specific search string such as "www.pirate4x4.com: search phrase" but i'm having horrible luck... can anyone verify the search string needed to allow me to search that forum?

-Erik <--- wants to ask, really bad, but not ready to be flamed just yet

Unread 08-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
biggreentj

best way to stretch is to make a rear crossmember with mounts for the shackles, then new front mounts for the leafs, and move them back the same distance as your rear mounts, thats how i did mine, every simple. ohh and i used the stock lengh BDS 2" SOA leafs

here is mine, u can see where the stock mount is, and what i added, then i just moved the front mounts the same diststance as the old rear center mount and new rear center mount.
here is a pic of the rear during some finish work

and here u can see the added WB, about 9" added

if u have any questions let me know
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok i guess ill post my opinion - im not going to flame you and you will find my info usefull I promise. One way to stretch the jeep well, you can do this a few diffrent ways, this way being the cheapest. I assume your going SOA?

In the front take off the spring plate, located the centering pin, relocate center pin hole 2" forward. reinstall and theres 2 inches no further assembly required.

For the rear well there are a LOT of options, the easiest again is locate a set of XJ springs - relocate rear spring hanger to rear bumper - install springs and SOA. There is now 3 inches back and i think you can even do the spring plate trick to the rear as well. - everything should be OK with the exception of the driveshafts.
Unread 08-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

so far this is what i've come up with searching JU (since Pirate can't be searched yet since i don't know how )

this concentrates on stretching the rear.... pretty simple, very effective, and aside from the cost of a fuel cell (or other way to fix the clearance problems with the stock tank) very inexpensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannygear @ JeepsUnlimited

I got the rear springs hung and the gas tank out. I moved it all back 6" at the fixed hangers and 5.5" at the shackle hangers. I made some pretty stout reinforcements to the stock rear crossmember (and a bit more to come) so the extra stress there will be dispersed into the frame rails. It should be nice and strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot @ JeepsUnlimited
I think you could do it the same way I did while keeping the sua set up. I got 10" of wb from moving the spring hangers back and re drilling perches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolly from JeepsUnlimited
Progress report. Finished the rear shackles and got the springs in.
Springs are in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough91YJ on JeepsUnlimited
i like wallys way, but if you want to go an easier route with less fab. do what i did. make a rear crossmember for your bumper, fab some shackle hanger mounts. then move your rear front frame mounts back to the desired lengh, and your stretched. i got about 9" extra in WB now.

here is rear view

hope this helps
if anyone objects to the quoting of their posts i gathered from JU then let me know and i'll remove them. I tried to make sure everyone quoted was given credit.

Unread 08-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Midnight22
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im assuming the above rigs are NOT street legal?
Midnight22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight22
Not in most states.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

legality means nothing to me. 6" lift law already broken, might as well break a few more while i'm at it.

Unread 08-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So then I guess all of you are running a fuel cell then?
Unread 08-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
biggreentj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight22
by the books?? no mines not street legal, do i have problems with that?? nope.
mine, the blue one, is my daily driver, every day every minute.
Unread 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #15
biggreentj

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreentj
by the books?? no mines not street legal, do i have problems with that?? nope.
mine, the blue one, is my daily driver, every day every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
So then I guess all of you are running a fuel cell then?
no fuel cell, just moved stock tank up behind the seats, who needs a fuel cell? thats a waste of money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.