Explorer 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Explorer 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #106
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I wouldn't go any further without the driveshaft to complete the mockup.
Angle finders rule at this stage...

I'll check your build thread for updates.
Keepin a good thought for ya...

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #107
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the props!
been doing alot in the 2 hour window I get each day after work/errands and before dinner/bed.
Some folks have been telling me just to eyeball the pinion and im sure it would work but...I'll stick with the overly cautious approach

I do have an angle finder app on my phone which works pretty well, wish it had decimals otherwise the HF one is 4.99
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #108
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I came into some extra money and went hog wild on buying parts to finish my 8.8 install and then some.

I got the RuffStuff simple install kit and the brake parts from East Coast Gear Supply. I didn't get the shorter perches, so I'll be cutting mine down.

On a side note: I also got Zone 2" lift springs w/new bushings, a JB Conversions SYE, an Aussie locker for the front and lubelockers for both difs...

So here is a question: Should I install the SYE and mock up the 8.8 perches THEN get my XJ shaft sized THEN do the final angle measurements before I weld the perches on?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go through the install.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #109
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
I came into some extra money and went hog wild on buying parts to finish my 8.8 install and then some.

I got the RuffStuff simple install kit and the brake parts from East Coast Gear Supply. I didn't get the shorter perches, so I'll be cutting mine down.

On a side note: I also got Zone 2" lift springs w/new bushings, a JB Conversions SYE, an Aussie locker for the front and lubelockers for both difs...

So here is a question: Should I install the SYE and mock up the 8.8 perches then get my XJ shaft sized THEN do the final angle measurements before I weld the perches on?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go through the install.
That's how I'd do it. Even if you were 10 degrees off when you measure for the shaft, that only works out to about 1/4" - 1/2" (depending on several variables) of deviation in length (since you can easily eyeball it closer than 10 degrees out, that'd be close enough for me).

I'd install the sye, springs, and put the axle in place (with mounts not welded), get the axle as close as you can, measure for shaft, install shaft, set final angle, tack mounts, remove axle, weld, paint, install, drive it for a while and measure again. If it changes (it will change) enough to bother you, use shims.

Edit: I've only done this a couple of times and have good results. Anyone who has a better method, please chime in.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #110
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey John.
Definitely install the SYE first, then mock up the new axle with the perch U bolts Just Snug. Then set the jeep back on it's feet. Guesstimate the final weight in the rear and allow for that ( full tank of gas, hardtop, tools, etc). Sandbags or such will work for setting up.

You can use a straightedge clamped to the fin on the 8.8 to set up your pinion angle. Just measure the offset from your straightedge to the center of the pinion flange and match that measurement when you point it at the transfer case output. Say your straightedge, when clamped in place, is 3" from the center of the flange yolk. Hold 3" off the center of the TC output and you should be right in the ballpark for a Driveshaft measurement. Clear as mud, right?

Tom Woods offers a CV shaft with extended splines, 7" IIRC. That's the one I'm using. You could take a half inch off your final measurement and still have plenty of spline engaged...

I wouldn't tack or weld anything until you have the driveshaft in hand. You don't want to do any of this over again.

Once welded, the perches aren't moving. No need for future shimming. That's why you're doing it this way in the first place.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #111
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
Once welded, the perches aren't moving. No need for future shimming. That's why you're doing it this way in the first place.
I didn't say that the perches would move. I said that the angle would change. I wasn't talking about the angle of the rear axle (I should have been more clear). I was talking about the angle of the drive shaft. He's using a new set of springs. You won't know your final angle until they've "settled".

You can figure out exact weights, use sandbags (in the proper locations to mimic weight distribution), and drive yourself crazy if you want, but regardless of how you go about it, 500 miles of roads and trails later your driveshaft will be at a different angle. The amount of deviation will vary wildly depending on the amount of lift and the quality of the springs.

The two that I've done didn't need shims to make everything happy, but I've seen some that were far enough out that it wouldn't have hurt.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #112
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I didn't say that the perches would move. I said that the angle would change. I wasn't talking about the angle of the rear axle (I should have been more clear). I was talking about the angle of the drive shaft. He's using a new set of springs. You won't know your final angle until they've "settled".

You can figure out exact weights, use sandbags (in the proper locations to mimic weight distribution), and drive yourself crazy if you want, but regardless of how you go about it, 500 miles of roads and trails later your driveshaft will be at a different angle. The amount of deviation will vary wildly depending on the amount of lift and the quality of the springs.

The two that I've done didn't need shims to make everything happy, but I've seen some that were far enough out that it wouldn't have hurt.
I agree. Just did this with new springs. Just yanking the 8.8 out to weld and putting it back in netted a 2 degree change from where it was tacked. Probably easier on used springs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #113
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fair enough. Springs will settle some, weight in the rear will vary, etc.

2 or 3* low will still be the target at install.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #114
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fair enough. Springs will settle some, weight in the rear will vary, etc.

2 or 3* low will still be the target at install.
Not arguing with you at all (or about the way you went about setting yours up). I'm just saying that when new springs are involved, it's not a "set it and forget it" scenario. Once everything has settled in and is stabilized to the "new" normal, you've just got to revisit the issue and address the situation if needed.

A lot of folks don't take another look until there's a problem, and even more complain about "bad installs" that someone else did previously.
Unread 09-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #115
Guns003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So ive read this thread a couple times and i cannot believe that i have NEVER noticed that you are pretty much my neighbor at the beach..... My family just bought the house on corner of north street and west. Ive always admired your jeep and after reading through this whole thread because im preparing to do the swap soon and i just realized it was your jeep. Im mind blown lol. My jeep is the green YJ with the black peeling hood lol. I drove it down alot this summer for the weekends.
Heres my jeep infront of my house there. If you ever see my jeep down or i see you Id like to talk, your jeeps sweet.
Guns003 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #116
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now THAT'S what I call serendipity...

I see Every Jeep in my neighborhood and I've seen yours around as well. Just never knew you lived within spittin distance. The pie-shaped lot?

Thanks for the kind words about my heep. Beach permits just went active here and I'm rigging out for fall striper season (damn sand gets in everything...). Adding waterproof seat covers, prepping and re-painting the cargo rack and rod holders, beach recovery equipment back on board, etc.

I'll keep an eye out for ya. If you need any help with the axle swap let me know. PM or walk down the alley...

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #117
Guns003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now THAT'S what I call serendipity...

I see Every Jeep in my neighborhood and I've seen yours around as well. Just never knew you lived within spittin distance. The pie-shaped lot?

Thanks for the kind words about my heep. Beach permits just went active here and I'm rigging out for fall striper season (damn sand gets in everything...). Adding waterproof seat covers, prepping and re-painting the cargo rack and rod holders, beach recovery equipment back on board, etc.

I'll keep an eye out for ya. If you need any help with the axle swap let me know. PM or walk down the alley...
Im just a weekend warrior but im going to try to come down in the winter to get away and my friend and I were gonna try to take our jeeps onto the beach. We thought it would be cool to do lol. I actually live in the house on the corner of north, idk if you know sean but the guy with the huge house? well we bought his old one, it was for sale for awhile.
Guns003 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #118
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Permits for Corson's Inlet are easy to get. $50 at the Ranger Station in Woodbine, good for a year.
Ocean City, not so easy. Waiting list and $125 if you do get one.

Fines are pretty hefty if you are caught on the beach without one.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #119
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

New Jersey and Rhode Island sound like so much fun! I love the rules though:

Permits are issued to 4-wheel drive vehicle owners for fishing purposes only. Carrying the basic equipment listed is required whenever the MSFV is on the beach.
1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8) Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #120
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. That's pretty standard.

I carry all that stuff as a rule when I'm on the beach anyway.

If I'm riding the beaches with my Springer just for fun, I carry a small cast net. Satisfies the "fishing equipment" portion of the rule. The bait part I'll just say I haven't netted any yet...

Never been checked out anyway....they're pretty decent around here.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.