Explorer 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Explorer 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #61
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is great work! You do this stuff like a pro, kinda makes me shake my head at how I do things :P

On a side note, I didnt realize so much went in to this swap

Unread 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #62
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalteduser View Post
This is great work! You do this stuff like a pro, kinda makes me shake my head at how I do things :P

On a side note, I didnt realize so much went in to this swap
Thanks! When I started out working on Jeeps I had all kinds of questions. Now I try to supply answers to the obvious ones when I can.

The next guy to wrench on my Jeep will be me so I hope to make it a little easier on him.
Paint, antisieze, lube, all the stuff that makes next time around less of a hassle.

After all, it's my Jeep, I'm doing myself a favor...

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #63
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I was wondering what the preference was for code 42 instead of D2? Guess I assumed people would like the limited slip. Then again I'm a newb
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #64
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, I was wondering what the preference was for code 42 instead of D2? Guess I assumed people would like the limited slip. Then again I'm a newb
Yup, thats the reason
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #65
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Feetwet, please correct me if I'm making the incorrect assumption:
The LS carrier is weaker and has a lot less options (only one that I know of) for lunchbox lockers.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #66
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post

The LS carrier is weaker and has a lot less options (only one that I know of) for lunchbox lockers.
From what I see its pretty much the same thing just the LS had a spring in between the spider gears.
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #67
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

From what I see its pretty much the same thing just the LS had a spring in between the spider gears.
They're definitely similar, but it's not the same part. As I said above, the carrier is weaker and you are very limited on options for lunchbox lockers. You could always swap to an open carrier, but if you're going to do that, you might as well buy a standard locker since your going to have to set up gears and the prices wouldn't be that far off by the time you buy a lunchbox and an open carrier.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #68
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post

Thanks! When I started out working on Jeeps I had all kinds of questions. Now I try to supply answers to the obvious ones when I can.

The next guy to wrench on my Jeep will be me so I hope to make it a little easier on him.
Paint, antisieze, lube, all the stuff that makes next time around less of a hassle.

After all, it's my Jeep, I'm doing myself a favor...
I started out the same way. I showed up here looking for some answers, and then things just snowballed after that.

Good on ya Doc, this is an excellent thread that has a wealth of usable information.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #69
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I started out the same way. I showed up here looking for some answers, and then things just snowballed after that.

Good on ya Doc, this is an excellent thread that has a wealth of usable information.

Max
Thank you Max. Kind words indeed.

Pay it Forward when you can, right?

A thread like this , to me, is the same as stopping on the side of the road for a Jeep with it's hood up, or a guy's feet sticking out from under it.
It's not a courtesy, it's a frame of mind.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #70
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They're definitely similar, but it's not the same part. As I said above, the carrier is weaker and you are very limited on options for lunchbox lockers. You could always swap to an open carrier, but if you're going to do that, you might as well buy a standard locker since your going to have to set up gears and the prices wouldn't be that far off by the time you buy a lunchbox and an open carrier.
I don't pretend to be an expert on the 8.8 Axle but I do know mine inside and out.

Ultimately, I intend to install an ARB locker in the rear. It may be some time before I get around to it. Hunting season is already here and local Beach Permits just went into effect and the Striper are about to run.

The Open Carrier will allow for a Lunch Box Locker, a quick install that basically just replaces the Spider Gears, if I decide to go that way. In the meantime, I'm rolling on an Aussie up front so it's all good.

The ARB or other Selectable Lockers replace the entire Carrier so Open or LSD is irrelevant. I wanted the options.

As to the LSD Carrier being weaker, I don't know about that, it's the options that are important to me at this point.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #71
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet write up! I will use this when I eventually decide to change my rear axle over!

I <3 rockrash
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #72
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
Now to get those new disc brakes hooked up. With the axle back out and perches and tabs welded up, it's ready for brake line install.

The Exploder Master Cylinder feeds the passenger rear brake area, then branches over to the driver side. I want to go simple and more direct.

Take the OEM spec hose for the Passenger side and attach it to the Awesome and Conveniently located Old/New Brakeline Driver side bracket. This is the "T" Hose.

Copper washers (supplied with calipers) go under Banjo Bolt head and on bolt end.

Torque the Banjo Bolts to 23ftlbs.

The upper "T" hose goes to Jeep supply line coming down the Driver Frame Rail.

Passenger side uses the Single hose spec'd for driverside.

After the hoses are installed and bolted to your new axle brackets you can use your newfound brake flaring skills to run a hard line from one caliper, up and over the Diff to the other caliper. These pics show the new line ends attached.

I ran the line through existing tabs on the axle and top of Diff. Wrapped em in some rubber hose to prevent that chafing thing and tapped the tabs down snug.

Everything checked out? Hey, there's a good spot for this thing....

Driveway angle makes the springs look all wonky, trust me, they are okay...
Feetwet, I think I'm going to use your brake line technique during my 8.8 swap. Is the 8.8 "t" hose long enough to allow proper flexing? I'm 99.99% sure that it is, but wanted to confirm before following your lead.

Also, I was planning to just use the 8.8 hard line - did you consider re-using it?

Thanks! Stan
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #73
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

Feetwet, I think I'm going to use your brake line technique during my 8.8 swap. Is the 8.8 "t" hose long enough to allow proper flexing? I'm 99.99% sure that it is, but wanted to confirm before following your lead.

Also, I was planning to just use the 8.8 hard line - did you consider re-using it?

Thanks! Stan
I personally mounted mine on top of the axle tube to make sure I had enough line.

Here is the line with the suspension at full droop.

Unread 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #74
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

Thanks! Stan
Hey Stan!

The new 8.8 "T" hose is plenty long enough, no worries. The hard line from the Jeep frame rail terminates right above the axle. I put a gentle half circle in the "T" hose and connected it up. I held the rubber hose in that spiral position as I tightened it. It allows almost 12" of axle droop in that configuration. If you have that much droop you're my new hero.

Should be fine.

As to the existing 8.8 hardline, I rebuilt the entire axle. Couldn't see not replacing a 4' section of old pipe and they didn't terminate exactly where I needed them to anyway...your choice if yours in in good shape but again, too easy not to go new.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 12-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #75
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Again Great write up

One question, do you have a measurement for the perches from the backing plate to the perch ?

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.