Explorer 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Explorer 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #46
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post

Well there's a lot of Jeeps in Florida, they'll come to you if they want it done right.

By the way, I don't know if I trust any airplane engines made after November 11, 2011........
Thanks, on both counts!

Great work on the swap, and on the thread! Good on ya Doc!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #47
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This will be a great guide for me! Question: are you able to reuse the u bolt spring plates?
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #48
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Time to update your profile to 8.8. Your just ahead of me all I lack is the E-brake cables. Im going to use barrel cable stops. Have you driven it yet? Id like to know how it is with the offset. Looking good!
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #49
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The offset really isn't all that noticeable. Well within the capabilities of a CV shaft...

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #50
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Thanks, on both counts!

Great work on the swap, and on the thread! Good on ya Doc!

Max
Thanks Max, it's been a fun project, doing it AND talking about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
This will be a great guide for me! Question: are you able to reuse the u bolt spring plates?
I guess you could in a pinch. The D35 plates measure 3 1/4" hole to hole and both those and the RuffStuff plates are made for 2 1/2" springs, but I think you'd end up enlarging the holes quite a bit in the D35 plates to fit the larger diameter U Bolts and give some wiggle room for installation. Plus you can't beat the Beef of the newer plates. The Axle/Spring connection is a key part of this job. If you're trying to save a buck, this may not be the place to do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Time to update your profile to 8.8. Your just ahead of me all I lack is the E-brake cables. Im going to use barrel cable stops. Have you driven it yet? Id like to know how it is with the offset. Looking good!
With pleasure, looking forward to it...

East Coast Gear Supply offers a ready to go set of E Brake cables for this swap but I didn't price them as I had perfectly good ones on the 8.8 when I got it.
The barrel stops seem to work out fine for JBolty.

As I mentioned earlier, the axle job is done, it's the thread that's lagging behind...

With the SYE and CV Shaft the offset is invisible. No vibes at any speed, even during an awesome 4 cylinder power takeoff...

However....I put on a big ole Diff Cover and it bangs the gas tank skid when the suspension cycles.

That fix coming up next...

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #51
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got a nice delivery.

Mountain Off Road Enterprises ( M.O.R.E.) has this Diff Cover in Black or Brushed Aluminum for the 8.8. As I like the Yellow Diffs front and rear, I got the Aluminum one and did the paint thing.
Also pictured, the 8.8 LubeLocker Gasket, a homemade handy dipstick (piece of wire) to tell when I was getting close to full, and some Teflon tape and Allen Wrench for the plugs.

Bolted up. The Mounting Bolts ( supplied w/ Cover) and the fill and Drain plugs all take an Allen Wrench. The plugs shipped with T Tape on em so I replaced with new and installed them.

Easier to fill it up with the body jacked so that's what I did. 75-90w Dino gear oil, cheap stuff for the break in period. That will get swapped out after a couple hundred miles or so. Took almost 6qts to fill that axle to the bottom of the fill hole.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #52
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rechecked torque on U Bolts, Driveshaft Yolk, Shackles and Wheels, just to be sure I had everything covered. Set er down and went for a spin.

No vibes at all up to 65mph. Couldn't push it any faster on the road I was on, but don't anticipate any new vibes after 65...

The Axle was quiet as a churchmouse and felt strong and responsive to throttle. Off the gas, coast was silent. No gear whine or other scary noises.

Only one small problem. The new cover BANGS the gas tank skid on anything over a moderate bump!

I sort of saw this coming. The axle rotates back and up when the suspension cycles and I only had about 1 1/4" clearance at rest. Had to button it up and try it out, though.

Next up, how to drop your gas tank and modify the tank skid...

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #53
RiverPatrol
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Impressive thread!!! I learned so much just from Page 1. I now wanna swap out my rear axel for Ford 8.8. Thanks for sharing this with the detailed pics.
RiverPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #54
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got a nice delivery.

Mountain Off Road Enterprises ( M.O.R.E.) has this Diff Cover in Black or Brushed Aluminum for the 8.8. As I like the Yellow Diffs front and rear, I got the Aluminum one and did the paint thing.
Also pictured, the 8.8 LubeLocker Gasket, a homemade handy dipstick (piece of wire) to tell when I was getting close to full, and some Teflon tape and Allen Wrench for the plugs.

Bolted up. The Mounting Bolts ( supplied w/ Cover) and the fill and Drain plugs all take an Allen Wrench. The plugs shipped with T Tape on em so I replaced with new and installed them.

Easier to fill it up with the body jacked so that's what I did. 75-90w Dino gear oil, cheap stuff for the break in period. That will get swapped out after a couple hundred miles or so. Took almost 6qts to fill that axle to the bottom of the fill hole.
I have the same diff cover as you. My cover hits the gas tank skid plate at full stuff. Might want to look into that.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Next up, how to drop your gas tank and modify the tank skid...
Guess you didn't read my last post.
Right below the one you quoted.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #56
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverPatrol View Post
Impressive thread!!! I learned so much just from Page 1. I now wanna swap out my rear axel for Ford 8.8. Thanks for sharing this with the detailed pics.
Thank you.
It's been a pleasure.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #57
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So now that I know the Diff hits the skid, it's time to drop the tank and make that BANG go away.

The tank and the skid are installed and removed as one unit. You can remove the tank from the skid AFTER you get it all on the ground.

Working with an empty tank is key here. Siphon of your choice but Empty is Light and Easy, gas-in is Heavy and Awkward. I have a Fuel Transfer Pump, took about 6 minutes.

You may also want to jack the rear end up and block it there, gives more room to wiggle the tank out. Depends on your lift. I jacked and blocked mine.

There are (7) 1/2" nuts that hold the skid in place. 4 through the Rear crossmember under the bumper and 3 through the crossmember at the forward edge of the skid in the crossmember between the wheels. Wire brush the threads and hit em good with PB Blaster. Also hit the two longer bolts in the back.

While those are soaking, remove this plastic cover again. It's the one you took out to place the new Axle Vent, below the driver tail light.

This will give access to the Fill and Vent hoses on the gas tank.

Loosen the 2 clamps and pull the hoses off the tank.

I ziptied the clamps up out of the way.

Back to the rearmost crossmember. Loosen these 4 nuts. The bolts will stay in place, they are let into the frame piece. The two LONGER bolts and nuts remain untouched at this point, except for the PB you hit em with.

Then get these 3 Loosened up.

Now get a jack under the skid and take a slight strain. Remove all 7 of the 1/2" nuts. Drop the jack down a bit until you can reach up on top of it.

Now you reach up and disconnect the WeatherPlug that comes over the rear crossmember to the sending unit and fuel pump. I also disconnect the rubber vent lines now, they are just push on. The Supply and Return lines should be disconnected as soon as you can reach them, unless you're sure about enough slack. I've had my tank out before and know I can leave them til last. 2 small hose clamps should get them off.

Now you can wrestle that unit around and take it out. I push the pass side up over the exhaust tailpipe and pull the Vent/Fill side down past the frame and out. Jacking the vehicle helps clear the diff, so does 4" of lift.

Tank out. Now you can loosen and remove the two nuts on the longer bolts, remove the straps and there you are.

Coming up next, Gentle persuasion using Torches and BFHammers....

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Guess you didn't read my last post.
Right below the one you quoted.
Nope. Missed that one sir. Sorry about that

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
Nope. Missed that one sir. Sorry about that
No problem. Glad you stopped in.....

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #60
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I removed the Tank and Rubber Mat from the skid and washed all the mud and moose hair outta the way.

Now would be a good time to perform the 15 to 20gal Fuel Tank Mod if you haven't already done it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...2-hour-516115/

Not hard to see where the Cover was hitting, it was clean metal. Some guys doing this job have cut the skid and bent the center in, then welded sides on the repair, then had to heat and reform the Poly tank. I don't need all that much extra room so opted for a less invasive approach.

I placed the skid over two upright cinder blocks with some wood spacers under the area that needs to be de-banged. I used a 3lb sledge with a rounded face for this job.

I used a propane torch to heat the skid in the general shape of the Diff cover. Got it pretty hot and pounded out a smooth oval about 2 1/2" deep, with no sharp edges. Felt like I was forming a WOK. Anyone for some Tank Skid Stir Fry??
Smoothed the metal on both sides with a flap disc and got some paint on it.

Hard to see there, better look here. After painting...

Replaced the Rubber mat in the skid.

Put the tank back in and had to use some ratchet straps to crank down on the tank and get it to bend around the new dimple and seat in the skid. Got both strap bolts through their holes and nuts started.

Cranked it down tight and it all looked fine.
Reinstall the reverse of removal. Take the time to clean up and paint any areas that need attention before you put the tank/skid back up in there. Dielectric grease on the Fuel Pump WeatherPack. You won't see that again for a while. Antisieze on all the bolts, please...

Went out and jumped a few curbs real quick and it's all quiet out back!

The dimple doesn't interfere with the fuel pump in any way, something I was concerned with.

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.