Exploded my slip yoke housing and pinion yoke. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exploded my slip yoke housing and pinion yoke.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
durangoyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Exploded my slip yoke housing and pinion yoke.

O.K. guys, it's been a while since I posted technical stuff so go easy on me:

The heeps been vibrating a lot lately under acceleration. Stupid me ignored it. Today while driving down the road it started vibrating so I pushed in the clutch and then let it out, hoping that it would ease the vibration like it has in the past. Instead I got a load POW and then nothing. Coasting to the side of the road I stopped, looked under it and found this:

I did not try and drive it, knowing that I leeked most of the fluid out of the t-case, it was winched onto a flatbed where it currently is sitting.

So, on to the question, obviously my rear housing is a gonner, as well as my pinion yoke, am I going to need to get the transfer case checked out? I’ve been wanting to put a SYE on for a while and obviously this is a perfect excuse to do that since the housing will get replaced, but how can I make sure the t-case is o.k. without spending $$$$$ having a shop look at it? I've also been thinking about an 8.8, God I wish I had more money.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as what else I may need to look out for?

Thanks all!

Jacob

P.S.- My dad's got a heated garage so he's going to tow it to his place. Unfortunatly it's about 100 miles away and over three mountain passes. I think she's going to be out of commision for a good month or two, might as well strip the paint down and re-do it while it's in the garage, right?

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
durangoyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Damn bro thats no good. I hope it all works out for ya. I would look into getting a SYE while its broken. That way in case you managed to bend the output shaft in the transfer case, it wont be an issue when you get it back together. If not, then I would check the shaft in your transfer case at the least. Throw some fluid in it, and put it in 2 wheel with the shaft off to see if its spinning out of plumb. Also, you may want to check the tub, to make sure you didnt put a hole in the bottom, or chip the undercoating from the driveshaft flailing around.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sort of a weird thing to happen on a stock wrangler. I would expected ignoring driveline vibes from a lifted suspension to cause that.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bummer - hope you get it fixed soon.

I hope you don't mind....but I'm going to post a link to this thread for the guy who wants to attempt an SOA with 4" leafs and stock rear driveline.

I suspect this is what's instore for him unless he changes his SOA plans.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Bummer - hope you get it fixed soon.

I hope you don't mind....but I'm going to post a link to this thread for the guy who wants to attempt an SOA with 4" leafs and stock rear driveline.

I suspect this is what's instore for him unless he changes his SOA plans.
YJ owners have had driveline vibes anywhere from a BB to 3-4" lifts... and this guy wants to attempt SOA AND 4" leafs with a stock setup?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
lmrsprt
1993 ZJ 

worn or bad u joints could of been the culprit
Yeah, I think we're screwed. There are not nearly enough of us and time is running out fast. One day we will tell our grandchildren what it was like to have once been free. They'll likely think us demented.
lmrsprt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep - that's correct. He'll hopefully change his approach/plans after reading some advice. I hate to see folks make poor decisions when they can be avoided.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

link the thread

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
durangoyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

O.k., it's been awhile since I updated my info. I do not want SOA anymore, too much money for me right now. I do have a Rough Country 4" lift on it, had it on for about 6 months. The vibes didn't start until about 4 months after I put the lift, although I'm sure the lift still had something to do with it.

Thank you KDG2406, that's the advice I was looking for. I'm trying to decide if I need to remove the whole t-case or if I can do it installed. I know installing the SYE is a lot easier with the t-case off, but is the work removing it worth the ease of installing?

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
demo44
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know installing the SYE is a lot easier with the t-case off, but is the work removing it worth the ease of installing?[/QUOTE]

^^^My guess would be YES, but i haven't actually had mine out yet. Sorry about your misfortune. Hope you up & running again soon!!
demo44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With the right tools, and facility you could do the SYE in an hour, maybe less. If ur not a pro then I would give yourself a full day, or at least a few hours. Just follow the directions, and make sure you have everything you need before you start. If you dont feel good about doing it yourself, a shop could do it in 45 minutes to an hour, for probably 80 - 100 bucks.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I tend to agree with Ultimate on that. It's not normal for a stock height t.c. to just let loose it's tail end like that unless you were out on the rocks and came down on something. Judging by the photo,it looks like the joint broke at sometime and eventually took out the yoke section. I think by ignoring it it exploded and wobbled that tail section loose . Excessive vibration can do some weird things. Thing you'd be ok to open it up ,check it out for fragments or any other damage in there ,then replace the tail shaft ,seal and bearing. If you're planning a big lift in the near future, if might be wise to go with an sye kit now. Your call!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoyj View Post
O.k., it's been awhile since I updated my info. I do not want SOA anymore, too much money for me right now.
Jacob, no worries, Joe was referring to THIS GUY. It just read a little wrong.

I can't really offer any advice on what may have caused it to happen, but it does look like a perfect oppurtunity for an upgrade. (That's how I always try to get money from my wife anyways )
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear/see, that blows. As for your pinion, its kinda hard to tell in the pic, but it looks fine to me. It looks like you just broke the cap off it (the way its supposed to fail)
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
durangoyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to pull the trigger on a reman 231 from Qtech with the SYE installed. My parents are putting it on their card and letting me pay them back as I don't use credit cards and don't have that kind of money up front. I'm also going to get a new pinion yoke. Any words of advice from anyone about what else to look for?

I'm going to get a Cherokee front shaft to cut down. My parents feel I'd be better off getting a custom made shaft with a warrenty and I've tried explaining to them that the Cherokee shaft cut down should be just as good, am I wrong?

I'm hoping to take pics and do a technical write up to guide anyone replacing their 231 in the future.

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.