Exhaust tailpipe for SBC swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust tailpipe for SBC swap

Rancho Shocktober is here for fall 2015!!!!You Pick the Size and Style of Lift Kit. We will Find you FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Galligher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust tailpipe for SBC swap

I am in the final steps of swapping a 330hp vortec headed 350 into my 1995 Wrangler. I have 2.5" ramhorn exhaust manifolds with 2.5" downpipes that y into a single 3" pipe. My question is after the muffler. Fitting a 3" tailpipe does not look possible. I don't want turndowns or a side exit as I want it to be as streetable as possible. I am thinking it may not be a big deal to have a 2.5" tailpipe and not drop hp by more than a couple. My thought is that the difference in size is 70% (2.5 of 3 in area of a circle). Bringing out the science major in myself, Charles law states that temp and volume are proportional in gases. I am thinking that after the muffler, the temp drop from the start of the y to the back of the muffler has to be 70% drop in temp. If this really is true, that the actual change in size of the exhaust really doesn't change. The potential is that it may increase torque in that exhaust velocity is maintained? Any thoughts?

Unread 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I honestly have no input on the science but I am running 2.5" exhaust with my 5.3 and it is fine, though I am more interested in low end power.

Looking for 92+ front female seatbelts
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

would something like this help move it out a bit?

gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 2.5" ramshorns and a ypipe. My entire exhaust is 2.5". Mine goes manifold, Y pipe, cat, straight shot to muffler (single in dual out) then tail pipes coming out at a 45 in front of the shackle between the frame and leaf. Here are some pics from when I was building it. Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am running 3 inch out the back In the stock location So it's possible. I am running 2.5 for the y pipe than 3 inch from there back (high flow cat/ flowmaster ). It's tight but doable!
image-3786950412.jpg

luck favors the prepared - anticanman
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Galligher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

87TPIYJ - Thanks, I thought about running the exhaust out back like yours, through the frame and springs. Have you had any issue of the springs touching. I am SUA though so some differences in spacing. Also, it looks in the pic that the exhaust is pointed at the tire, any issues?

GOTSWAP - Any issues touching the springs? Looks like your lift is big enough that it probably is not an issue. The pipe looks like a "stockish" 2.25" one, but I could be wrong.

ZTE87 - That is great! It is tight but it looks like you have some spacing on both sides. How was the clearance for the 3" pipe over the axle?

Again, thanks! I may go 3" out back if over the axle is not bad, or maybe 3" between the frame and springs... Either would be more quiet than out the side or turndowns and the smell would probably not be much different than the stock motor/exhaust.
Unread 08-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galligher
87TPIYJ - Thanks, I thought about running the exhaust out back like yours, through the frame and springs. Have you had any issue of the springs touching. I am SUA though so some differences in spacing. Also, it looks in the pic that the exhaust is pointed at the tire, any issues? GOTSWAP - Any issues touching the springs? Looks like your lift is big enough that it probably is not an issue. The pipe looks like a "stockish" 2.25" one, but I could be wrong. ZTE87 - That is great! It is tight but it looks like you have some spacing on both sides. How was the clearance for the 3" pipe over the axle? Again, thanks! I may go 3" out back if over the axle is not bad, or maybe 3" between the frame and springs... Either would be more quiet than out the side or turndowns and the smell would probably not be much different than the stock motor/exhaust.
It's very close, it's up high enough to where my bump stops keep my axle off it at full flex. It was dumped under the tub before and I hated it!

Updated with a pic, it barley contacts the axle under full flex (as I said all ready my bump stop prevents this). And I am soa with stock frenched springs......I imagine you would be better off with arched sua setup!
image-1685121588.jpg

luck favors the prepared - anticanman
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
stevehoj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also run a mandrel bent 3" tailpipe for YJ and stock location. Call below.

http://www.kolakperformance.com/

Happy motoring.
08 Tundra CrewMax TRD 5.7, 07 Jeep GC-SRT8, 01 Lightning (sold), 96 Impala SS (sold), 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold), 90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060), 71 Formula 400 (sold), 72 Formula 350 (sold), 71 Firebird 350 (sold), 69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)
stevehoj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's the illusion of the picture. It's really at a 45 pointing towards the back past the tire. The spring never contacts the exhaust, however at full stuffy tire will touch the tail pipe on one side. I could fix it where it wouldn't, but just been to lazy to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 08-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have pretty much stock diameter pipe but am no where near close to touching anywhere under full stuff. If you want I can go out and take some better pics.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Galligher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all! I see I have many good options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.