Exhaust system help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust system help!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
kaylayj95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust system help!

So the other day my cat went up, and the shop said that my 95 yj had an exhaust system that was completely connected, rather than a separate cat, exhaust, etc. Has anyone ever replaced the entire thing? If so, any adivce on where to buy the entire set? Or is this some way to cut and re-weld the cat back into place? Thanks!

kaylayj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like they are trying to put one over on you. It's very common for exhaust systems to be welded together. The bad part is then cut out and a new piece welded or clamped in. If they are telling you the whole thing comes in one piece I would be interested in seeing it and having them demonstrate getting the entire thing in and out with it all put together.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylayj95 View Post
the shop said that my 95 yj had an exhaust system that was completely connected, rather than a separate cat, exhaust, etc.
The shop implied that the entire exhaust was welded from the motor all the way to the back to the rear exhaust tip.
You can cut the exhaust with a sawzall and it can be welded back in or clamped back in almost any location.

I would try another shop and see if the story is the same.
I just changed my CAT and it was clamped in. I had to cut the area around the clamp and insert the new CAT.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Find a another shop. They are full of it and just lazy to cut what needs to be cut and clamp new cat in.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Would love to see you post a repair order/quote from this shop stating this!
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
kaylayj95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Haha I was so confused when they told me! I asked if there was any way they could just fix the one section but they said they couldn't unless they did it all. I guess I'm going to talk to another shop and see what they can do!
kaylayj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

What they all said. Any competent shop can cut/bend/clamp/weld/mount any segment of the exhaust system. Keep shopping around.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.