Exhaust rubbing front driveshaft when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust rubbing front driveshaft when turning

JK 3" Lift Kit w/ 4 FlexArms! GREAT DEALS here at RocTeraFlex TJ 4" Lift Kit!! WANT A DEAL?!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust rubbing front driveshaft when turning

When I turn right my exhaust rubs my front driveshaft. Just started making this noise.
Only does it when I turn right. Motor mounts appear to be fine. What would cause this?
95 YJ 4.0 4" lift 33" tires

modfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
LoneYJranger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A loose exhaust tube
Take a look above the rear differential, the exhaust should be attached there to the frame, if not then you need to reattached
How you know that your exhaust is the one rubbing and not something else?
Any pics?
LoneYJranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it is the exhaust rubbing. Here is a pic. Exhaust sits about half inch from front shaft.
image-740863555.jpg

Unread 12-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
LoneYJranger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Then is loose on the back attachment, check it out
LoneYJranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
sardog211
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that's close I had same issue, I had to loosen exhaust bolts and move it over, I ultimately took it to muffler shop and the exhaust rerouted to fix PO's hack job on exhaust system.
sardog211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Everything is tight. I had a cat back installed about 6 months ago. I may have to take it back and see what they can do. I will try to loosen bolts and see if it moves.
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the rear spring eye bushings that mount to the frame ears for one, and especially the tranny mount. When the tranny can wallow around letting the motor stretch the motor mounts you can get some weird contact. This has been an issue I have seen several times now.

On the plus side it looks more - and sounds more- like body roll with too little clearance anticipated on the pipe install.
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will look at those frame eye bushings mounts today. If they are bent can't he be bent back into position? Or do you mean the actual bushing I those mounts?

Thanks for the info.

These noises did start after a day on the trails.
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it just started you probably just moved or broke a mount; the one right under the skid plate by the cat is a common place for failure.

I was having that trouble with the stock exhaust and with the header after putting on a tom woods drive shaft with a larger tube size. The original YJ front shaft with an auto transmission is only about one inch in diameter. I fixed it by routing the whole thing around the front, TJ style.

It's not nearly as close to the starter as it looks
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If it just started you probably just moved or broke a mount; the one right under the skid plate by the cat is a common place for failure.

I was having that trouble with the stock exhaust and with the header after putting on a tom woods drive shaft with a larger tube size. The original YJ front shaft with an auto transmission is only about one inch in diameter. I fixed it by routing the whole thing around the front, TJ style.

It's not nearly as close to the starter as it looks
x2. Mine started rubbing when the exhaust mount by the cat broke. I fixed it by installing an old TJ exhaust. Much better clearance
72 Chevy Nova-in progress
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
1320yj

Make sure that the mount for the catalytic converter is still in place. There is a bracket that holds the cat up in place without that it allows the exhaust to sag a bit and the front of the pipe rotates over and hits the front drive shaft. Had the same exact problem
Unread 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfox
I will look at those frame eye bushings mounts today. If they are bent can't he be bent back into position? Or do you mean the actual bushing I those mounts? Thanks for the info. These noises did start after a day on the trails.

I meant the actual bushings themselves- mine were so bad they pushed the DS into the tranny and ruined the tranny mount too. And hard acceleration or quick braking would cause a lurch and rapid direction change. The rubber was shot because the steel sleeve on the bushing had rusted away completely.
Unread 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So the bushings are good. And it appears that the trans mount is also good. I went ahead and bought a new trans mount. I will put it on tomorrow. All of the exhaust hangers appear to be attached.
If I loosen the exhaust at the manifold can I move the exhaust over? Or is there no adjustment from the exhaust manifold?
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When did you install your lift? And are you running a front track bar?
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
1320yj

Loosen the 2 nuts that hold the front exhaust pipe on and raise the cat and muffler up then tighten up the 2 nuts.
I had to bent the bracket down that welds to the front pipe a bit to help keep the cat and muffler up enough for clearance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.