Exhaust Manifold Help : Lost on how to remove Fuel injectors, wiring, and fuel rail. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust Manifold Help : Lost on how to remove Fuel injectors, wiring, and fuel rail.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Mr. Notorious

Exhaust Manifold Help : Lost on how to remove Fuel injectors, wiring, and fuel rail.

SO, I'm trying to remove the exhaust manifold and I cannot figure anything out because the Haynes book completly sucks. So, to remove the intake, I have to take out the injectors? OR just the wiring harness that goes to the injectors. And whats the deal, when I disconnect the quick disconnect for the supply and return lines to the fuel rail I need to by an o-ring and spacer kit from the dealership?? And is this the same for each injector???? I have no idea how to disconnect the wires going to the injector and I really don't want to get in there and start trying to things because I really don't want to screw up a fuel injector. Please help me out here... I had no idea how difficult this would be...

1967 FJ, linked, 350 chevy, 35's, arbs, blah blah...
2002 TJ

"If you're not moving ahead, you're falling behind"
Mr. Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Notorious
SO, I'm trying to remove the exhaust manifold and I cannot figure anything out because the Haynes book completly sucks. So, to remove the intake, I have to take out the injectors? OR just the wiring harness that goes to the injectors. And whats the deal, when I disconnect the quick disconnect for the supply and return lines to the fuel rail I need to by an o-ring and spacer kit from the dealership?? And is this the same for each injector???? I have no idea how to disconnect the wires going to the injector and I really don't want to get in there and start trying to things because I really don't want to screw up a fuel injector. Please help me out here... I had no idea how difficult this would be...
did you look in chapter 4 under fuel injector rail assembly? if you're just looking in the engine chapter under the intake manifold then I can see why it seems a bit vague. pretty detailed in my book in chapter 4.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I changed my manifold all I did was disconnect the fuel lines and just moved the fuel rail out of the way. I didn't need to replace the o-rings.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Mr. Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797
When I changed my manifold all I did was disconnect the fuel lines and just moved the fuel rail out of the way. I didn't need to replace the o-rings.

Which lines? Just the supply and return lines? Did you have to touch any of the injector stuff? Like unplug it atleast? And just unbolt the whole rail from the intake and let it hang-out there? Sorry for the questions, but I don't want to fiddle with that expensive electrical stuff.

2002 TJ

Unread 08-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am trying to remember what I did when I installed my borla hdr....

I think I left everything mechanically connected and just let it hang. Also the easiest way to remove that exhaust manifold is through the bottom. I did not start messing with any of the intake and fuel injection until I tried putting the borla hdr in because it is alot longer than the factory exhaust manifold and I thought it would be easier to drop it in from the top.....I was wrong I still mananged to manuever it in through the bottom

I thought I was going to have to move all that stuff also but I did not need to I know I ended up disconnecting some wires but that was easy, I know I did not disconnect any supply and return lines.
Unread 08-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I remember just disconnecting the supply and return lines, the two lines towards the front of the Jeep, and then just unbolting the fuel rail from the intake manifold and moving it out of the way.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Mr. Notorious

Alright, I'll try it out in a bit. My arm's sore from all the shots they had to give me today at the Dr.'s. Thanks

2002 TJ

Unread 08-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Mr. Notorious

Alright, took out the 4 bolts that holds the rail on. So I'm trying to pull it off and the injectors just won't pop out. Anyone have a trick to get the injectors to pop out? I used Pb blaster and I'm trying and trying and she won't break loose. Which angle do they come out?

2002 TJ

Unread 08-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
Mr. Notorious

Well, I figured out a quicker way. All I did was remove the 9 intake bolts and flip the whole manifold up and onto the valve cover. Basically the throttle body was facing the oil cap. Pretty simple now that I'm not using the book. Sometimes that book just makes everything harder. Here's a couple reference shots.

2002 TJ

Unread 08-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #10
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Notorious
Well, I figured out a quicker way. All I did was remove the 9 intake bolts and flip the whole manifold up and onto the valve cover. Basically the throttle body was facing the oil cap. Pretty simple now that I'm not using the book. Sometimes that book just makes everything harder. Here's a couple reference shot.

Sorry if I did not explain it well but that is what I was trying to say, you don't have to disconnect any fuel lines or pull any injectors you just move the whole intake manifold. I could not get mine to flip up on top of the valve cover though and the exhaust manifold will just come right from the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.