exhaust/intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > exhaust/intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
chris447
1995 YJ Wrangler 

exhaust/intake

Whats a good fairly priced set up?

chris447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As in cold air intake? And performance exhaust?
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, the best intake for a 4.0 that you can get would be the intake manifold from a 2000+ I6. It'll give you a lot more air & is designed to give a lot less internal turbulence and all this gives you some real bolt-on horsepower. Much of the other stuff on the market is nothing more than "bling" - a shiny pipe with a visible filter, and these won't give you any measurable power increase.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
chris447
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is this a direct bolt up? And what about exhaust.... i like how my stock set up is for mud, but want power and some rumble.... my stock intake mod was putting a 90deg exhaust pipe strait up to about 2 inches beloew the hood from the hole in the bottom of air box, sealed it off and put a piece of "cat" prefilter on the top to keep debrie out
chris447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
In my opinion, the best intake for a 4.0 that you can get would be the intake manifold from a 2000+ I6. It'll give you a lot more air & is designed to give a lot less internal turbulence and all this gives you some real bolt-on horsepower. Much of the other stuff on the market is nothing more than "bling" - a shiny pipe with a visible filter, and these won't give you any measurable power increase.
I agree. The aftermarket cold air intakes are nothing more than a good marketing gimmick to make some pure profit. The stock 4.0 exhaust manifold is pretty decent too. You can change your exhaust and/or muffler but all you'll really do is change the sound.
444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ALL you guys that are looking for more performance from a 4.0. tear down the engine and blue print it. You might gain a little from that. Polish your intake runners, port the heads and intake , exhaust. You might gain a few extra ponies from that, change injectors, Clean up what the factory did not do to make the engine to it's max power. Then when you get all said and done you have spent better than 2 grand on the motor or more. You still have a 4.0 that might run a little smoother have just a touch more power and a little better torque curve.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.