Exhaust header upgrade Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust header upgrade Questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust header upgrade Questions

I have an 88' 4.2L yj all stock exhaust with a new cat. i welded on.
I can get a good deal from my friend for a new exhaust header but it turns in to a 3" pipe. My header i have now goes to a 2" pipe.

I was woundering if i can istall those headers and instead of running a 3" pipe all the way out and getting a new cat, if i can bring the pipe before the cat. to 2.5" then at the cat down to 2.25"?

would that work?

would it impove flow?

would their still be enough back pressure for the engine?

any advice of what i should do
--im looking to increase flow and mabey gain a little hoursepower at the same time
THANK YOU

JeepingShtHpns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't ever decided to replace my factory 4.2 manifold with a header for a couple of reasons
1 - I never seem to be able to put the money together to buy one
2 - It runs just fine now that I have the vacuum advance working correctly
3 - I have been informed (from another member here) that has done a 4.2 header swap and also a 4.0 head swap, that a plain header for the 4.2 is not worth the effort or money for what you might gain over a 4.0 head swap

To answer your question directly, no
You don't want to run 3" pipe up front and 2.5", 2.25" piping later on
IMO, the reduction in exhaust flow will be counter productive

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.