Exhaust Header Madness!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust Header Madness!!

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-14-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Header Madness!!

I just put a new header on my exhaust by pacesetter. It comes with these little step washers to compensate for the difference in thickness in the flange of the exhaust and the intake. But on the bottom of the engine where the header bolts are barely visible its difficult to line them up correctly. It's hard enough just to get a wrench in there. So my exhaust leaks like nothing else and sounds like poo. Anyone have any suggestions to make sealing my exhaust easier? Thanks!

bamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

TAKE EV.... OMG MY CAPS LOCK IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take everything out of the way, intake manifold, throttle body, powersteering pump and it will go in a lot easier.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the main problem though is that the header itself is in the way. On the cylinder pipes's downward angle it blocks off the bolt holes that I need to tighten. I'm just hoping there is some secret trick that people do to seal leaky exhaust
Unread 03-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
pushead

I took mine to a local shop and had them do some repiping to make every thing fit propely. Got frm the header to the cat repiped for $100. Money well spent.
Unread 03-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
mrbigglesworth

can you post some pictures of what you need to tighten?
BLACK JEEP CLUB #1000
Mods:
3.5" Rough Country Lift Kit
2 inch shackle lift
JKS Telescoping front track bar
33"x13.5" Super Swampers with 15" x10" AR Wheels
Front and Rear Auto Lockers
SYE and CV shaft in rear
Motorcraft Carb Conversion
Imperial Electric Cooling Fan
Grill Guard Front Bumper
Hella Bumper Lights
Rear Towing Crossmember and Hitch
Diamond Plate Running Boards
CB Radio
mrbigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

unbolt it fromthe exhaust down tube, that is probably what is taking it out of alligment.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
ncjeepinyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamato
the main problem though is that the header itself is in the way. On the cylinder pipes's downward angle it blocks off the bolt holes that I need to tighten. I'm just hoping there is some secret trick that people do to seal leaky exhaust
Are you talking about the header pipes or the mounting flange that actually bolts to the head. After i bolted mine up the mounting flange overlapped some of the bolt holes for the intake and i had to take the header back off and grind it down so the other bolts would fit, BTW, did i mention that pacesetter headers SUCKASS!!!!! Just wait till you see where the rest of the pipe ends up.
Unread 03-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeepinyj
BTW, did i mention that pacesetter headers SUCKASS!!!!! Just wait till you see where the rest of the pipe ends up.

This is why I recomend taking it to a muffler shop. I could not agree more with the comment. Thats what we get for being cheap.
Unread 03-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
ncjeepinyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushead
This is why I recomend taking it to a muffler shop. I could not agree more with the comment. Thats what we get for being cheap.
Yeah, in the end it doesnt pay off. I ended up paying $90 just to have the rest of the exhaust routed so it wouldnt get ripped off the first time i take it off road. Guess i am the one that got ripped off. BTW, pacesetter customer service SUCKSASS too. I emailed, called and was even told to send pics of my problem and 2 weeks later still no word back from them. When ever i run into a product or company this bad, yes, i will do my best to make it known.
Unread 03-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well I was ingenient enough to run all y own custom downpipes and such. It actually looks and sounds remarkable beautiful. And to answer the question earlier, It's the flange that bolts to the block where the problem is. Just cant quite get it to seal right. Any ideas ya'll? And yeah, Im pretty cheap as well
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.