Exhaust Hanger, isolator on transmission 4.2 stock exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust Hanger, isolator on transmission 4.2 stock exhaust

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Hanger, isolator on transmission 4.2 stock exhaust

After putting up my stock exhaust, I noticed that where it goes up and over the skid plate and passes by the transmission there looks to be some typ
e of exhaust bracket. I'm assumming it because the pipe fits right in it. It is a C shape bracket with 2 holes in it. Is there suppose tobe some type of bracket or clamp or isolator whatever you want to call it attached to this. I hate it cause everytime I let the clucth out in reverse I swear I hear the stupid thing bang the pipe. Its annoying. It is a 5 speed manual..if wondering in an 87 Wranger.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

I can look when I get home but I'm sure someone will chime in before then.

I have the same issue on mine, I have re-hung the exhaust about 8 times and no matter what every once and awhile when I take off from a stop to fast that thing will bang loud as he!! down there on the crossmember. Frickin annoying.
bparsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is a bracket that attaches to the exhaust right at the square fitting where the downpipe meets the cat. That is a C shape that goes into a C shaped rubber isolator bracket that is attached to the tranny or skidplate.

see parts 10 + 11:

ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic or 2 of what it looks like..
p1010053.jpg   p1010054.jpg   p1010058.jpg  
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Makes sense when putting back up the exhaust I didn't use the 4 bolt flange just a straight pipe setup....didn't need it for MA inspection due to the age.....but i have an idea of what I can do now......thanks guys!!!
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
USMC_JeepGuy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine doesn't look like that....anymore, I just cut it off last night, had to weld a patch where some idiot had welded the bracket to the pipe but it kept tearing a large hole everytime I went wheeling. Problem solved.

BTW, that idiot was me....
USMC_JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.