Exhaust Hanger, isolator on transmission 4.2 stock exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust Hanger, isolator on transmission 4.2 stock exhaust

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Hanger, isolator on transmission 4.2 stock exhaust

After putting up my stock exhaust, I noticed that where it goes up and over the skid plate and passes by the transmission there looks to be some typ
e of exhaust bracket. I'm assumming it because the pipe fits right in it. It is a C shape bracket with 2 holes in it. Is there suppose tobe some type of bracket or clamp or isolator whatever you want to call it attached to this. I hate it cause everytime I let the clucth out in reverse I swear I hear the stupid thing bang the pipe. Its annoying. It is a 5 speed manual..if wondering in an 87 Wranger.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

I can look when I get home but I'm sure someone will chime in before then.

I have the same issue on mine, I have re-hung the exhaust about 8 times and no matter what every once and awhile when I take off from a stop to fast that thing will bang loud as he!! down there on the crossmember. Frickin annoying.
bparsel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is a bracket that attaches to the exhaust right at the square fitting where the downpipe meets the cat. That is a C shape that goes into a C shaped rubber isolator bracket that is attached to the tranny or skidplate.

see parts 10 + 11:

ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic or 2 of what it looks like..
p1010053.jpg   p1010054.jpg   p1010058.jpg  
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Makes sense when putting back up the exhaust I didn't use the 4 bolt flange just a straight pipe setup....didn't need it for MA inspection due to the age.....but i have an idea of what I can do now......thanks guys!!!
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
USMC_JeepGuy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine doesn't look like that....anymore, I just cut it off last night, had to weld a patch where some idiot had welded the bracket to the pipe but it kept tearing a large hole everytime I went wheeling. Problem solved.

BTW, that idiot was me....
USMC_JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.