Exhaust Fumes w/ Rear Window Removed - 1993 4.0 L6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust Fumes w/ Rear Window Removed - 1993 4.0 L6

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Stingray427

Exhaust Fumes w/ Rear Window Removed - 1993 4.0 L6

Quick question:

I have stock exhaust setup with a turn down tailpipe exiting at the right rear of the vehicle (turn down faces downward and is pointing straight out rearwards) and I get a lot of fumes in the cabin with the rear window removed, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Stingray427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Run side pipes.

There is nothing you can do. The wind travels under the vehicle while driving and then comes up into the low pressure area created by the big square forcing itself through the air. You can try routing the exhaust differently or getting a bikini top so air is going around the sides and pushing the fumes away but until your aerodynamics change, that low pressure zone behind the jeep will stay there and all higher pressure air will continue to move into it while moving.
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
XxoSPARKSoxX
Free Range Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fumes

My suggestion:

Put the window back in....

Problem solved..

All levity aside, it is very common.

Updraft from the large, flat back side of the vehicle pushes fumes right into the cabin.

Jeeps are certainly not famous for being very aerodynamic.

Unless you have the whole top off or have a bikini installed where a lot of fresh air can rush through and carry those fumes out, you are pretty well dealing with the same issue most of us jeepers (I think I can speak for many here) deal with regularly..

Good Luck!!

Sparky
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Keeping the front windows open or removed should help to keep a front to rear draft going. As long as you are moving.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Stingray427

Thanks to all for the very detailed answers!

What about dumping the exhaust in front of the rear axle? I have heard of this but don't know if it would help.
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray427 View Post
Thanks to all for the very detailed answers!

What about dumping the exhaust in front of the rear axle? I have heard of this but don't know if it would help.
That is what i did, but i have not ran my jeep since i have done it, (Not street legal yet) But i have my drain plugs out and i feel like it will just drift into the cab that way.
Longview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Stingray427

Anyone else dropped the exhaust in front of the rear axle to help with fumes?
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ya, not just a jeep issue. Any car with a rear window that can be opened will say do not run it that way. Heck we had an old Buick station wagon that had that warning. There is a low pressure zone behind any moving vehicle (that's how race cars get into another's drag ) so moving the tailpipe further forward won't stop fumes from coming in.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Stingray427

Thanks, has anyone else done this with their exhaust and did it help with the fumes?
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Watch the following video (skip to the 3:43 mark to get straight to the point):

The flat boxy rear end of the Jeep tends to cause turbulence which curls the airstream back into the cab. The only reasonable solution is to crack open the front windows or remove the side windows to allow some airflow to reduce the vortex effect.

Or you can go this route
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 03:46 AM   #11
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Running the exhaust out the side will help. Maybe not solve but will help. Make sure the end of the pipe clears the body by a couple of inches as well.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ View Post
Running the exhaust out the side will help. Maybe not solve but will help. Make sure the end of the pipe clears the body by a couple of inches as well.
The trouble with THIS (ask any Midyear Corvette owner with side exhaust) is that "at idle" (like at stop lights), the exhaust wafts into your open side window(s). Prolly the only REAL "answer" is to upgrade to OBD2 and a late model engine with FULL emissions and catalytic convertor; I'm guessing that you don't wanna go to THAT level of expense JUST to run w/o a rear window...
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

had this problem big time in the last YJ. when i finally took it in to teh shop i found out it had the CAT removed. hence it smelled so bad.

with the last TJ i had, (with a CAT) it wasn't as bad and the JK we had was a non issue.

the YJ i have now (CAT in place) is 100% better than the YJ without the CAT.

i tried everything. only thing that really worked (for me) was putting another CAT on it.

if you still have the CAT is it functioning? if it is, then gonna have to get used to teh smell lol
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
had this problem big time in the last YJ. when i finally took it in to teh shop i found out it had the CAT removed. hence it smelled so bad.

with the last TJ i had, (with a CAT) it wasn't as bad and the JK we had was a non issue.

the YJ i have now (CAT in place) is 100% better than the YJ without the CAT.

i tried everything. only thing that really worked (for me) was putting another CAT on it.

if you still have the CAT is it functioning? if it is, then gonna have to get used to teh smell lol
I just added a brand new cat to my exhaust a few months ago and your right the smell is less noticeable but still there.

Sounds like this is just one of those things about driving a Jeep that you learn to live with.
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You learn to live with CO?! The exhaust smell is not the issue LOL

I remember when cats and no lead were new things- we all thought they stunk so bad! We were used to the non-catalyzed exhaust smell.
Now everybody is used to the catalyzed exhaust and they think non-emissions-equipped exhaust smells bad.

Either way carbon monoxide can kill you...OBD2, OBD1, or no cat whatsoever!

I still like to smell nitro racing fuel in an old muscle car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.