Exhaust fumes in rear window - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust fumes in rear window

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust fumes in rear window

Has anyone found a good way to stop exhaust fumes from coming in the rear window?

I have a softop on my Jeep and since its parked under an oak tree at my house I usually leave the top up and just pull all the windows out. For some reason this causes a vacuum in the back windows where air comes in the back windows as I am moving forward. Along with this air is all the exhaust fumes from my tailpipe which is on the passenger side under the bumper.

I am tempted to try an make it go more out the side of the jeep than out the back and hopefully that would help.

I am not as bothered by it, but my wife rarely wants to ride in the Jeep because she says "I don't want to smell like gas".

Ideas?

Unread 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

they all pull the exhaust back in, just like a PU, you would have to exhaust out the side I would think to eliminate it.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
TJEvans
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I keep the rear side windows in, while having the door tops off and rear window open, I'll smell the fumes. If the rear windows are out, it let's the air escape before reaching the front passenger cabin.
TJEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I drive with an extended top no doors or windows and was blowing oil out the back, it would leave a film of oil on my dash.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Run a bikini top instead, or else have all the windows installed in the top. Half doors or door windows down will not pull exhaust in if everything else is in.
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also if your exhaust is piped strait out the back, sometimes the fumes get sucked up by the tire carrier and such. If you add a tip on the back to pipe the exaust down, it will help with this. I put a curve on the end of mine and pointed it out to blow the fumes that way. I test it out and it helps tons. I just have to weld it on and pretty it up.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yea the only issue with going out the side is if I just got to the edge of the body it will still be right behind my rear tire and I imagine will get caught in the vortex again. If I go out past the rear tire it would look ridiculous.

I thought about pointing it down, does that help? Or cut it off shorter then point down before the rear axle?
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pointing it down helped in my case. You can buy a tip and just try it out like I did. I wouldn't cut it back behind the axle though, I think that would make it worse.
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
HAYSHAKER170
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could always use the stacks like the semi's do. Heck, I even see those on some duallies now. Just kidding, don't do that.
HAYSHAKER170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So pointing it down makes it not get pulled in through the rear window? Or just helps a little?
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF
So pointing it down makes it not get pulled in through the rear window? Or just helps a little?
In my case it pretty much fixed the issue. I have just tested this but not permanently installed anything yet. Note I'm a hard top though, soft tops are less forgiving with keeping out fumes.
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
etienne389
1998 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=GatorsUF;14276355]Has anyone found a good way to stop exhaust fumes from coming in the rear window?

I have a softop on my Jeep and since its parked under an oak tree at my house I usually leave the top up and just pull all the windows out. For some reason this causes a vacuum in the back windows where air comes in the back windows as I am moving forward. Along with this air is all the exhaust fumes from my tailpipe which is on the passenger side under the bumper.

I am tempted to try an make it go more out the side of the jeep than out the back and hopefully that would help.

I am not as bothered by it, but my wife rarely wants to ride in the Jeep because she says "I don't want to smell like gas".

Ideas?[/hi, i am new here. how are you? did you solve the problem ? i have same problem and i wish to solve it too. best regards. thanks]
etienne389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

alot of the time, to stop the blow back, I'll leave the back window in, and take the sides out. makes for a more aerodynamic jeep IMO, and it keeps the exhaust out, while letting fresh air in
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Fumes

Hi! I had to have a new exhaust system put on my YJ the fellow putting it on put the exhaust tip bent a 90* on it to go out the side . he say's it gets the fumes away from the back window. At least I don't have the fumes coming through the floor. Joe100
1989-jeep-yj-wrangler-002-14-.jpg  
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wrong spot damn phone
forumrunner_20130423_223948.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.