Exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2002, 01:24 PM   #1
Soapskid

Exhaust

I need an exhaust but on a budget whats good for a 4cylinder 95 yj??? Help

Soapskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Lyle36

im also lookin to buy an exhaust, ive heard good about Pacesetter TFX so im goin with that
rear bumper off TJ
Pacesetter TFX Exhaust System
Daystar 1" Body Lift
cowl inducted fiberglass hood
Summit Racing Seats........just geting started
Lyle36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I just changed to the Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler and Dynomax tailpipe. I am happy with it. Probably not the cheapest, but definately not as expensive as Borla.

If you're looking for just any exhaust system, I'd bet a local exhaust shop or auto parts store could set you up with a turbo muffler for cheap.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 09:40 AM   #4
johny1i

I replaced my exhaust about 5 months ago with a cheap Walker system from Quadratec and it works fine. From the cat back (including the muffler), it was about $80, and the front pipe was another $30--that's it. I did later replace the cat converter with a high flow unit from a local supplier for another $90, but he worked with the Walker system and just welded the cat in--you can just use your old one if it's still good.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
skr91yj

What kind of improvement did you notice between the old exaust and the new, and then how much more with the hi flo cat?
skr91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 10:56 AM   #6
johny1i

To be honest (and the reason I added the converter after the fact), initially I ordered the exhaust from Quadratec because I wanted one without a converter and it's illegal for a muffler shop to remove one--thus I had to do it myself. I had the muffler shop cut me a piece of pipe 32" long and I clamped it in place of the converter. With this setup, the exhaust really had a good sound to it, the equivalent of a "turbo" muffler as mentioned previously. However, I couldn't stop the fumes from entering the cabin when the rear window was rolled up (and the door windows open, too), and after my girlfriend griped about it for 2 months, I decided to go back with a converter. Even with the compact, hi-flow converter, there is no exhaust sound anymore, and yes, there is a slight/moderate drop in power (not that my engine is a powerhouse anyway), but all-in-all it's okay because all of the smell disappeared. If I ever have an older jeep that I can leave the top off all the time, I will get rid of the converter, but if you have a top on, it's tough to get rid of that carbon monoxide and exhaust smell. I've done a lot of modifications to the engine, so it's hard to pinpoint any one thing, but I feel like the converter is an improvement over the stock one--if you can't find one locally, order one from Rusty's Offroad. Plus, it's half the size of the original converter.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2002, 10:09 AM   #7
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I dropped out fume tube about 2 months ago and put in a Cat-back 40 Series Flowmaster. It was about $130-150 bucks installed. Took lest than 15 minutes. And sounds super good. ITs not the sound of a V8 but it gives your jeep a meaty growl. I bet any muffler shop has Flowmasters. I got mine from Rick. Maybe your town has a Bob's or maybe a Mike's. Who knows???... Get that Flowmaster your Jeep deserves!
Happy Jeepin
Unread 08-02-2002, 02:20 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

I like my TFX Pacesetter and Rusty' Hi-flow convter. All of that was $250. Its a throaty sound, nice, clean, not obnoxious.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.