Ex Islander Diesel Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ex Islander Diesel Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

YES! Another diesel YJ!!

I will be keeping an eye on this. Do you have any idea the weight of the 3.3? just curious how it compares to my 3.9.

What are your plans for the turbo? Can you flip the exhaust manifold?

Keep it up!

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 3.3 ways 562 lbs dry, I figured I have added another 15 lbs from the accessories. A p pump 3.9 weight around 700. I would love to flip the manifold and get a litle more clearance under the hood but I cant the way the a/c compressor and alternator are mounted, it is a close flip with the turbo on top. I am looking at getting godspeed t28 turbo off of ebay, one from Cummins is well over $1000.
Homebrewed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Accesories about done!

I found a belt tensior I think will work and got it mounted up. I also finished the lower bracket for the alternator. I was able to weld a piece of flat stock onto the front plate and made and it even lined up the the lower tab on the alternator almost like I planned it like that.
010.jpg
I also picked up a set of Fabtech 3.5" springs from Amazon.com for under $60 a piece and they had free shipping!
001.jpg

For my motor mounts I made a plate from 1/4" steel that bolted to the side of the block using existing bolt holes. I hacked off the mounts on the frame and centered it the best i could.
381.jpg
I welded on a plate to each frame rail to give me a little more beef on each side. I made the plates from 3/16" I probably should have made them from 1/4" but I ran out. I think I will beef them up a little bit more but they feel pretty solid now.
380.jpg
I used motor mounts from a mid 80s ford f150 with a 300 six, Summit Racing sells them for under $15 a piece.
007.jpg
008.jpg
This motor is a little taller than the 4.2 that came out especially with the turbo mounted on top of the manifold. I will have to run a 1" body lift to clear the top of the turbo. I wanted to get the engine up as high as possible for clearance between the pan and front diff. Since I mounted the alternator so low I dont have much room between it and the frame rail, maybe 1/2". I think I am going to run some Ford shock mounts so I can cut off the original for just a little bit more room. As it sits I have less then 1" between the hood and the turbo. I will be running a smaller turbo so I should have a little bit more room.
009.jpg
I will post some pics of my transmission mount when I get a chance.
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread, and definitely an interesting swap into a YJ!
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great swap, great thread. Gunna keep this one where I can see it!

Favor, and a question: this thread is going to be at least several pages long. Can you resize your future pics to about 900 wide so it fits on the page without the text scrolling from side to side? And motor hieght.... have you thought about adding a hood scoop to gain some turbo clearance? One of the threads in here is a guy who added (what looked to be) an early bronco style scoop and it looked REAL good, just like it came from the factory that way.

Great way to scrounge parts and make everything work together!
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #21
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hear you on the hood clearance issue. I fought it with my swap because I was wanting to keep the engine high enough to get max bump on my axle.

I ended up with a custom intake manifold to ultimately save putting a cowl on the hood. If the turbo is all that is causing the need for more height look into the manifold options. I'm not sure, but I assume those run the same manifold pattern as the larger engines. Many people doing a 4bt cut down 6bt manifolds. I'm sure there are a few different stock options out there. If not... you'd be surprised how little I spent to get mine modified.

I would cowl the hood before i put a body lift on it (maybe just a small one above the turbo)... but that's just me.

Keep up the quality progress
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

personally, I would try some ehaust manifold options to reposition the turbo before I cut into the hood, but sounds like it fits either way, though it looks really high in the pics.

not sure if you mentioned it, but if you plan to use an intercooler, there is a decent universal aluminum one on ebay for 90 bucks that fits perfect between the raditaor and grill that I used on my 4BT. I can find it again if you are interested. It a chinese ricer intercooler, but seems to be of good quality.

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good.. will be checking back off and on.
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ask and you shall receive, I was wondering about resizing the pics, I think I have it under control now.

I plan on running a charge air cooler either one from ebay or a mid to late 80s Volvo 740i like Lil green bean did. It looked like it was a good fit in his yj.

I was going to run a taurus fan I already have but it is 4+ inches thick. I think I am going to get a slim fan that it less than 2.5".

I think I will have enough room running a 1" bl to clear the turbo. It would be nice to flip the manifold and run a low mount turbo but there is no room with the a/c compressor and alternator.

The exhaust manifold for the 3.3 is different than the 3.9 or 5.9.
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welding on the first page! Sub'd for sure

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #26
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Or you could just be a real bada$$ and cut a hole in the hood and raise the turbo so all people see is a big turbo sticking out of your hood......

Just kidding, dont do that.

Where is this lil green bean you speak of?

I run the taurus fan, seems to work fine, plenty of room, not sure if the 3.3 is longer...

Unread 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would cut a hole in the hood if the turbo was more impressive but the t25 that comes on them is only 3-4" across. Not exactly a killer look!

Here is the link to lil green bean
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/l...-bean-1290765/
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is coming along nicely. Keep it up.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission Mount

Since I swapped the BA10 for the NV3550 I needed a different transmission mount. I have seen adapters to bolt on to the ba10 mount but mine was shot and I wanted give it a tummy tuck. I am planning on running a 1" body lift to clear the turbo so I raised the transfer case up a little bit.
I made a plate to bolt on the bottom of the transmission and welded it to a pipe running to each frame rail. I used bushing from a 73-87 shackle and welded tabs on the frame rail to bolt it on.
010.jpg
24.jpg
From the side of the frame rail. I should be able to run a completely flat plate expect for bosses around the bolts.
30.jpg
My not so helpful helper.
29.jpg
I will have to relocate the parking brake cable holder up a little bit to clear the mount but that is not a big deal.

I planed on reusing the transfer case shifter from the ba10 with a little modifications but it had too much flex and would not fit after raising up the transfer case.
mod-shifter.jpg
So I made a shifter that got rid of the z gate and has a shorter throw.

For the linkage I picked up a couple lawn mower tie rod ends and a piece of all thread.
004.jpg
The problem I ran into was both threads were 7/16" fine thread, I could not find a piece of all thread 7/16" fine thread. So
003.jpg

A little bit of welding and bending and my transfer case shifter was born!
005.jpg
011.jpg
22.jpg
The linkage came out almost perfectly straight, I wasnt planning on that! It works great and with a little bit of tweaking it should be better that stock.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.